Katie Bookser
Katie Bookser
  • Stamford, CT

DIY Falling Leaves Fall Door Mat

$10

It’s that time of year again, when I deck my front porch out with all of the pumpkins and mums I can get my hands on, and of course a cute fall door mat. This year I thought it would be fun to DIY my own door mat, inspired by a one that I saw at Pottery Barn. I was surprised at how easy it was to accomplish!

Watch the video above to see how you can easily make your own, or keep reading for step by step instructions. Enjoy!

You will need a plain door mat which you can find at most home improvement stores. I actually found mine on sale for $6 at Target.

I created a “gather” vinyl stencil using my Cricut, but if you don’t have a cutting machine, you can also use letter stencils from the craft store. I have done this to stencil words in the past and it has worked well. If you don’t have sticky stencils, you can add a clear spray adhesive to the back of each one as you line them up, which will not affect the final project.

Use a sponge brush to sponge on the paint color of your choice. I used an acrylic white paint because my porch is covered, but if this will be exposed to the elements, I recommend using an outdoor craft paint. Apply two coats of paint and sponge the paint into the fibers of the mat.

Once you’ve finished stenciling on the word, decorate the rest of the mat using leaf stencils. I really wanted to make this a bit whimsical, so I placed the leaves at different angles all over the mat. I didn’t plan it out in any way, I just tried to cover the bare spots to make it look like the leaves were falling.

As a last step, you can apply a clear seal poly coat to protect it if you’d like. This is such a fun and easy project, and a good chance to get creative! I also think that this would make an excellent gift. If you like this project and want to see more, visit my   YouTube Channel. Don’t forget to share your DIY photos with me on  Instagram or Facebook, I can’t wait to see what you make.

• Carol Cole

It all looks great but my favorite is the wreath. I love Wreaths.

• Val

Great job, you could do just about anything with this. Thank you for sharing this. Mine could say something snarky. ha, go away unless you have wine or girl scout cookies.