Kathleen Mikan
Kathleen Mikan
  • Chatsworth, GA

How can I clean waffle irons?

Lifestyles HomesKathleen MikanLaura Cooper
+4

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Kathleen, here's a Wicki how to! https://www.wikihow.com/Clean-a-Waffle-Iron

• Lifestyles Homes

Real steel or coated aluminum?

Old irons were really iron & have to be the-seasoned like a cast iron skillet.

Aluminum can be soaked in lots of cleaning solutions. When clean, avoid using a spray oil for cooking, as they harm the “Teflon” type coatings, according to Calphalon Cookware.

• Kathleen Mikan

It is an old one - over 55 years old. The exterior is highly covered with burnt on food. It still works very well, but doesn't look nice. Any further suggestions?

• Laura Cooper

Here's what I do.... Heat up the waffle iron, unplug then lay two layers of wet paper towels in between the plates. This steams the iron. When it has cooled down enough to handle, open the plates and wipe any stubborn spots.

• Kathleen Mikan

Thanks. Any suggestions about cleaning the outside of the waffle cooker where food has burned on?

• Lifestyles Homes

ok, I now know what kind you have. thanks.

The outside is probably chromed and can be cleaned with a nylon scrubber and a lot of soapy water.

The inside should be removable and I would soak them in really hot soapy water and take an old tooth brush to them or some other soft bristle brush and then soak them some more.

If they’re starting to rust, then when clean. Dry very well and then “season” them like a cast iron skillet, with “Crisco” at a low temp in the oven. (325 comes to mind, but I’d double check that).