Making An Old Window Into A Mirror

$25

Today I'm taking an old window and giving it a makeover as a mirror. It's a simple project, but the impact is great! If you're looking for a new piece to hang on your wall, consider this fun project.

Step 1: The first step is to clean your window with glass cleaner and paper towels. This wipes away all of the dirt and dust to give you a clean surface to work with and it's an important step!

Step 2: Tape off your window with painters tape so that only the glass is exposed.

Step 3: I wanted an antiqued look to my mirror. I created it by mixing 3/4 water to 1/4 apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle. Then I sprayed a light mist on each glass panel.

Step 4: The vinegar water mixture does not need to completely dry before you move on to spraying the mirror effect paint. I used Rustoleum's Mirror Effect. You simply spray an even coat over each window panel, let it dry for 5-10 minutes and spray again with another coat. I applied 5 coats altogether to make sure i had covered all areas thoroughly.

Step 5: Once the mirror effect has completely dried it is time to seal in the mirror effect. This can be done with any acrylic paint. I chose to use black. I gave a good coat covering each panel and let it dry.

Once everything was dry, I removed the painters tape.

You're all done with the mirror effect on the mirror and it's time for your piece to be hung. I needed to add two eye hook screws to mine.

After the eye hook screws were in. I added wire. The mirror is ready at this point to be hung. Now to choose where to display your artwork!

I hung my new mirror in the entryway of my home. It looks perfect over our bench and I'm happy with how the antiqued effect came out.

If you'd like to get a better view of my entryway, check out my .

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Linda

• Suzanne McGuire

Do you spray the mirrow like finish to the front side of the window and the black paint to the back side or both on the same side and if so which side?

• Joy

The black is painted on the back of the mirrored panels so that you cannot see thru it. It helps the mirror paint reflect.

• Sea Trace Creations

Do you have a close up photo of the mirror? I'd love to see how it turned out with the special effects you gave it.

• Cheryl Abbott

Here’s mine.... it could be better. It started to rain so I only got one mirror coat. But I kinda like it the way it is.

• Susan Cooper Andrews

so Would this work on garage doors, the glass part. For some privacy plus a vintage look. As well as the glass in a dining hutch.?

• Gale

Yes, definitely. I have a beautiful old window and have had it for two years. I have been trying to figure out how to back it with mirrors so when I hang it on my wall it will be mirrored .This looks so much better. It is a very heavy window and this will prevent me from putting more weight onto it to hang on the wall.

• Luella Tower

Can you use picture frames too