Doe
Doe
  • North Ridgeville, OH

How do I fix my table following an acetone spill?

H. Chené MaurerJohn BiermacherKYKathy
+3

Before the accident.

After

• GrandmasHouseDIY

I would tackle that by sanding down the finish, re staining and than re applying a good sealer like poly acrylic

You'll have to sand down to raw wood, restain, and seal.

• KYKathy

I have the same problem. I was thinking I could pour acrylic in the whole that was eaten away by the acetone; after reading about painting countertops. My dining room table is black.

• John Biermacher

Your options will depend very much what the wood is and how it is finished AND if you are going to try and replicate the same look.

I refinished a table years ago that a baby sitter spilled nail polish remover on a cherry colored table. It stripped quite easily, but the wood wouldn’t take any stain- absolutely zero. Turned out that all the color was in the finish. Because we had to match the chairs which weren’t damaged I ended up getting the color with analine dyes and coating with varnish.

You’ll need to trouble shoot this and possibly make adjustments and changes along the way.n

• H. Chené Maurer

the good news is, you know how to strip the varnish off now! Then refinishing is a piece of cake.