Ashleigh Sommer
Ashleigh Sommer
  • Fayetteville, NC

Scrap Fire Wood Turned Decor

$2

Came across some cute "wash, dry, fold" signs that would look perfect in my little laundry room. The price however was a major turn off. So I decided to make my own!

*Disclaimer*

My cost for this project was only $2! The only thing I had to purchase was the sawtooth picture hangers, I had everything else. The cost of this project will just depend on what materials you already have.

STEP ONE - Find Wood

I used scrap fire wood I had in a pile in my backyard. You can use whatever kind you'd like though, just cut it down to the size you want if necessary.

Not pictured that you will also need: scissors and the sawtooth picture hangers.

STEP TWO - Tape Off Area To Paint

The signs I saw had a wood frame around them. To create this I just simply taped off the area and painted the inside white to create the illusion of a "frame" around it.

STEP THREE - Paint

Paint whatever color you desire inside the tape. I used white for this.

STEP FOUR - Print Out Letters

Print out desired words in desired font. Picture shows exactly what I used. For this you'll need to mirror the letters so when you put the paper onto the wood, it's in the right direction. If you don't know how to do that, just simply google how to mirror the text for whatever program you're using.

STEP FIVE - Transfer Letters To Wood

There are a couple ways to get the letters onto the wood. I chose to use the ink rubbing method. Simply take your paper with the mirrored text, tape it down to the wood, and then take rounded object, I used a sharpie, and rub over the letters. You'll want to rub on them pretty hard to ensure a good transfer.

STEP SIX - Touch Up Letters

Because the ink is so faded when you transfer it onto the wood, you'll need to go over it. Use a small paint brush and take your time. There's no such thing as perfect, this certainly won't be, so don't get discouraged if you mess up. It just gives it more character and makes it more personal!

STEP SEVEN - Add Hook To Back To Hang

I used nailess sawtooths to hang. I bought them from Hobby Lobby. I got the ones you just nail in, but they also have the ones you can screw in.

STEP EIGHT - Hang And Enjoy!

• Wood
  • Wood
  • Paint

• Heje

Would using the darkest print help in making the words transfer darker?