How can I repair this oak spindle?

ShannonAgnes ChrzanowskaWilliam
+11

Child did this swinging on the bannister..or maybe it was a tantrum lol.

• Jodi Murray Hendon

Shark Tank had a product called Fiber Fix a few years ago. You might Google or youtube that to see if it might help you. It might be available at hardware stores or Bed, Bath & Beyond.

• Shannon

I didn’t know about fibre fix and I’m glad you told me about it. I’ll use that on another repair problem I have as the fibre fix shows.

• Sharon

Since it broke at the joint, I would drill out the broken dowel, and then replace it with a new dowel from the hardware store and glue in place with carpenter's glue. Should be good as new.

• Shannon

Very good idea. Thanks

You don't show the top. As it sits, squeeze some wood into the cracked joint. Straighten the spindle, wipe off any squeeze out, and tape the joint with blue painters tape. Apply some glue to the top and put back where it fits. Drill a 1/8" hole at an angle in the top and rail. Drive a long finish nail so it goes into the spindle top and rail. Adjust the spindle so it's straight and adjust the tape tightly if needed. If you can find a replacement would be easier to replace. Home Depot or Menard's.

• Shannon

That sounds great, but at this point, as I try gently to straighten the spindle out, it just won’t budge.

• Dee

Try gorilla glue or Loctite Power grab, those glues hold anything together.

It looks like the break is 3/4 through and there is a vertical split. Make sure the top is not connected. It may be preventing movement. With the top free you should be able to close the joint and straighten it.

• Shannon

It’s bent from the top too. I’m going to look more closely at the top. Thanks.

That is probably what is preventing it to straighten. It's wedged out of place when it broke. There may be one or two nails holding it at the top. Usually the bottom is doweled and slips into a hole in the step and the top fits in a channel and toe nailed in place. Either remove or cut the nails to loosen the top.

• Agnes Chrzanowska

I would try gorilla glue - good carpenters glue

• Shannon

My last step. Thank