How can I paint something a grayish whitewash color?

Abby and MattAllisonKelli L. Milligan
+10

Staining to achieve gray whitewash look

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Angela, depending on the material there are different ways to do it. Here are a couple of ways to achieve it on wood: https://www.familyhandyman.com/woodworking/staining-wood/how-to-whitewash-wood-3-simple-techniques/

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Angela, I actually didn't know if they even made stains specific for white washing but they do! It looks like Minwax makes a white wash pickling stain. I would start in a small area, apply the stain heavily with a brush, let it sit for 10-20 minutes and wipe off the excess. That will give you an idea of the look the stain will be giving you. It may take a couple of applications for a whiter look etc. I hope that helps :)

• Kelli L. Milligan

They make a white stain. To add grey have it mixed. They do that at stand alone paint stores.

• Allison

Several companies make a gray stain, some are weathered, some are more opaque. Have checked them out? I mixed my own color of latex paint, then watered it down to stain pine boards. The grain and knots show, just like a stain, but was a lot cheaper (I live on a perpetual tight budget) plus I didn't want any sheen.

• Allison

For the stains, Minwax and Varathane (sp?) There are several different shades, you should find one to your liking. Head out to Lowe's or Home Depot, they have the little blocks that show you the actual colors on specific woods so you will know exactly what the color will look like on your cabinets, as long as you know the wood species.

• Abby and Matt

If you have a paint you already like. You can always just water it down and use it light a stain if you can't find the color you want in store