Ruth

by Ruth

Tutorial Team

Repurposed Shoe Storage Into Functional Headboard Shelf

$15

I have been looking for ideas to spruce up my headboard wall for a while. My wall is to short for night stands. So when I came across this over sized shoe shelf at a yard sale for five bucks. The lady that was selling it told me her father had made it for her closest and all I could think was “wow I wish I had your closet! “Seriously it was only 5 Dollars and I knew you couldn’t build it for that. So I had a vision.

This was the wall pretty boring

When we did our master redo we had extra hardwood so we hung it on the wall. That is why it is teared up because we ran out.

Here is the large shoe shelf

Here is the shoe shelf which was nice and sturdy. It was long and light oak which I didn’t care for even though I knew I would change it. But I love to reuse and this is perfect it had great bones.

Painted l beakers and screws

I had four L brackets and screws i spray painted black to match the hardware on barn door that is actually headboard.

Leveled and centered

I already like it up. It took two of us to find the studs, center and attach to the wall. But other than that it was super easy.

Taping off shelf for gel stain

I didn’t care for the light colored stain, but knew if I used a gel stain I could darken it a bit. I used mahogany stain. It is easy and works great even if it has been sealed Simply went over the whole shelf with a sponge

and whip away excess.

Finished

I love it! I now have a shelf for remotes glass of water what ever! To many items are overlooked and throw away to fill our land fills!

Final

Sometimes you have to just think outside the box on repurposing. All I needed was some brackets and stain. I do plan on finding some wireless lights so I can hang above our heads to read. I hope you enjoy and it inspires you. Let me know if you have any questions.

• Karen

How do you keep from bumping your head? I’d sit up all groggy in the morning and whack my brains out.

• Gail Rivera

Why couldnt they just use black screws instead of buying and spraying them

• Ruth

I could have used if I had them here. I didn’t want to go to hardware store and usually try to use what I have got.

• Dl.5660408

It’s so different and adding the shoe storage box was an inspired idea. Really lovely!

• Ruth

So different yet it works! Right

• Chrissy mcneill

I love it! The rustic look is so beautiful! And if you want to extend the wall of wood to the ceiling, keep an eye out on Craig's list free stuff for free hardwoods that people change in their homes! Looks great! Just dont bump your heads!!! Hahaha!

• Ruth

Thank you Chrissy! I am not even close to bumping my head!