DIY Christmas Tree Stand and Ornament Storage

$40

I have wanted one of these pretty Christmas Tree Stands for years, guys. But, I hate storing big things that I only use once a year. Then I finally realized, if I just add a bottom to my box I can use it to store my Christmas ornaments. Problem Solved. Yay!

This is a pretty easy build for beginner woodworkers. The frame is made with Kreg Jig Pocket Holes and glue. But if you don't have a Kreg Jig, you could use glue and a drill and screws to assemble the frame. Just be sure to countersink the screw heads so that you can hide them with wood filler or wood button plugs, for a prettier finish.

Watch the video above to get a good look at how to build this Christmas Tree Stand. You can download printable plans for this build and find all the measurements and steps on my blog.

In case you haven't seen one, that's the Kreg Jig clamped to the board. It basically lets you drill screw holes for different thicknesses of wood, at an angle. Then you can use those screw holes to quickly and easily join 2 boards together.

It's a really popular tool with beginner woodworkers because of how easy it makes building furniture.

I cut the box frame boards to size on my Miter Saw using 2x2 Pine from Lowes or Home Depot.

After using glue and the Kreg Jig pocket holes to assemble my box frame, I used glue and my brad nailer to attach cheap 1/2" x 3/4" moulding to the insides of the 4 box sides.

You can see that finished moulding frame better here. The back of that is flush with the back of the 2x2's. You can see how it's drawn in the printable plans on my site or get a better look at this on the video, if it's a bit confusing. :)

I use that moulding frame as the back supports for beadboard planks. You can also use 1/4" smooth plywood or 1/4" baedboard plywood to get the look you want.

I use glue to attach that beadboard or plywood to the moulding.

After putting the plywood in place, I used Cove moulding to frame the outside. That cove makes everything look pretty and trims off the sides nicely. I glued and brad nailed that moulding in place.

I glued and nailed scrap wood supports along the bottom of the frame. Then dropped in a 1/2" plywood bottom. Make sure the supports rest on the ground so that they can easily support your tree.

You could also use brackets or pocket holes to install a 1/2" or 3/4" plywood bottom without supports. Whatever is easiest works here.

Then use wood filler where needed, let dry, sand, and paint or stain the whole box. I used a Christmas-y red.

After Christmas, I loaded this box up with Christmas ornaments and decor for storing away.

You can find 12 of my favorite handmade Christmas ornaments here.

This makes a really pretty Christmas Tree stand that is easy to clean around and makes a pretty backing for all of those presents.

Stephanie Abbott