New Kitchen Range Backsplash

$65

We are remodeling our kitchen and I’d like to show you our backsplash behind our range area.

We moved the range over to where the old sink was originally. The kitchen cabinets went to a neighbor for his garage. The microwave was old and went to microwave heaven.

Here is the new location for the range and hood.

Our new IKEA cabinets are put together and our new range hood is in place temporarily.

Before we installed the tile, my husband cut some tile in half using a wet tile saw that we borrowed from a neighbor. We then laid out the pattern of the tile on our countertop so we could see how it looked. We live at a lake and I wanted to continue the wave theme in the remodel!

We primed the wall with Kiliz to seal the drywall. Then, we put blue painters tape so the thin set or grout would not get on the walls on either side.

My husband is troweling on the thin set. We did this in sections starting at the bottom and working our way up. Remember to read the instructions on the container to learn the proper technique.

We used blue painters tape to hold the tile until the thin set dried. He also used the wet tile cutter to cut tile to go around the electrical outlet and exhaust vent.

The tile is grouted and sealed and ready for the range hood. The two areas where there is no tile is because that is where the screws went to hang the range hood. We used leftover tile to fill in that area and it didn't matter if it was not continuous or not because the hood will cover it.

Adding the cedar wood trim! This trim is from our old dock that we milled last spring and are using it as trim in our windows, doors and open shelving in our remodel.

I'm very happy with the outcome.

• Carolina

Nice!! Isn't that the lake house??

• Michele Morgan

Is there a reason why u didn't tile the whole area? It's beautiful tile! I just think it would look really nice to continue it over all the countertops. Although it's probably quite pricey.

• Lisa

Love the idea of just using the expensive wave tiles behind stove 😍

• Renee

Very country to super sleek, modern. I love both looks actually, but wow!, be so proud because that is some hard do-it-yourself work, right there!!

Nice job!