How to Build a Wood Laundry Table

$60

I can't believe I haven't shared this DIY on HomeTalk yet. I built this table in 2018 when I was getting my Laundry Room ready for a feature in Better Homes and Gardens. This Laundry Table is one of my all time favorite builds. You can find the full tutorial and printable build plans on my site.

This table improved our Laundry Room 300%, easily. Just adding that one table made the room look so much better AND it is so much more functional too. Now we can put our keys and bags on the table when we walk in, fold laundry there. And, it hides all of the ugly parts of our Laundry Room. You can see more of this table and why I love it in the in the build overview video above.

We had about a 10" gap behind our machines because of the way the dryer vent was installed. That gap was pretty ugly and stuff was always falling back there. PLUS, the outlets and water hookups just added to the list of things I hated looking at in there.

I had to figure out a way to improve this. If I had a wall on both or even 1 side of the machines, I could have just installed a removable top over my machines.

BUT, I decided to build a table since I wanted a removable option that could also hide the left sides of my machines.

I built this Laundry Table using 2x2 legs and 1x2 rails to connect them.

I drilled 1 Kreg Jig pocket hole on each end of the 1x2's, then used wood glue and the Kreg screws to join the 1x2 to the top of each leg.

If you look closely at the picture, I used a lattice board under my 1x2 to hold it 1/4" back from the front of the legs. That setback on the rails always looks pretty on a table.

Ignore that rough looking wood, I used wood from an old project because I knew I was painting mine. :)

My exhaust vent blocked the leg on the right side of the machines. But since it's hiding between the machines and the dryer, I could easily move the leg up on that side without anyone seeing it.

On the left side of my machines, I have a low bench. So, I designed that side to hide the machine sides and the ugly gap behind the machines.

Your Laundry Table build may need to be adjusted a bit to work around all of those cords, outlets, piles, plugs, and exhaust vents. Every Laundry Room is different.

AND Laundry Tables are different than other tables. It has tall legs that make it wobbly. But you probably can't steady the legs by connecting them along the back because of all the pipes , cords, and vents. And, you can't connect them along the front. Adding a lower 1x2 to connect the legs on the left and right does help add some stability. But, you'll probably better off designing the table to partially sit on top of the machines, to fight the wobble.

I did that by attaching adjustable feet to the bottom of my legs.

On just the left side, since it's visible, I extended the side down with a 1/4" plywood panel and cove moulding detail around the frame.

The top is 3/4" Maple Plywood from Lowes. I applied Edge Banding to the plywood edges to make it look like solid Maple. Edge Banding is really easy to apply with just a normal iron. The glue on the back of it is activated by heat that makes it stick right on to the plywood edge.

I used Danish Oil to stain the top because you can easily wipe on the finish with a rag and it dries pretty fast. It also slightly hardens wood as it dries, for extra durability, and it doesn't require an extra topcoat. But, I did apply a couple coats of poly too, because it is a high traffic area, so extra protection is a good thing. :)

You can find more tips about making a Laundry Table and see more of my Laundry Room on my site.

Stephanie Abbott

• Nancy

What about to loading washing machines? I have new side-by-side XL capacity machines in my tiny laundry room. I l❤ve your idea, but my washer s a top load. Suggestions?

• April Rose Sharp

Thank you for asking this question! I was thinking the same thing. I have a top loading washer too. My daughter has a front loading washer and dryer and I have used it a couple of times. absolutely hate it. will never join the trend of buying a front loading washer. can't see if I have the right amount of clothes in it. To many reasons to list why I will never buy one.

• Em

Love the color. What is it.

• April Rose Sharp

Stephanie Abbott, please at least answer our questions. Do you have any idea how we can make the same type of table with having a top loading washer. I am sorry if I am being rude. I am asking because you have already built the table and since we didn't. Do you have any suggestions for us??

At what point of building the beautiful table (I will add) would we be able to change the top boards to maybe lift up or lift sideways? Could we possibly build a way to lift up the board over the washer maybe lift it to the right or left side or lift the whole top. Anything would be helpful because you have seen the table in person and built a very nice table that 90% of people doing laundry would love to have. Thank you so much. I really hope you can have a suggestion for us.

• Stephanie Abbott

Hi April, I’m happy to answer questions when I can. If you check above, I’ve answered every question asked. 👍 Like I told someone else, I’ve seen a cute version of this that is only about 12” deep. It basically covers the gap behind the machines and makes a cute shelf for storage.

You can try making a full table with a split top with hinges (as mentioned above). But that all depends on how much room you have above the machine. You’ll want it completely out of the way when opening the washer so that it doesn’t become a pain when doing laundry. The frame to hold the top would need to be changed too. Mine would block a top loader. Since I’ve never had to build this, that’s the best answer I can give you on this. Good luck with your laundry room.