Do you think this shelf looks good as a headboard?

JoyceDebi53Agnes Chrzanowska
+8

I have a platform bed. Currently a decal headboard. But I have a birch wood shelf (haven't removed brackets yet). Does not go all the way in length but I think it looks okay, thoughts please

• To Work With My Hands

Hey Michelle!

Do you plan to attach the headboard to the wall? If you do, you could add some extra details around the perimeter to "build it up" to fit the width of your bed. Does that make sense?

You've got a lot of possibilities with that shelf. Paint, stencil (a large monogram in the center or a design over the entire piece), decoupage...lots of things you could do.

• Michelle

Not mounting as shelf present headboard is a decal on wall

• Jan Clark

If you don't want the birch plank as a shelf attached to the wall, then why bother? The decal looks great from what I can see. Ask yourself why you considered using this board in the first place. What would be the purpose? Do you want an actual headboard? If so, then the wood is not the right size and there are a lot of other options out there - many of them here on Hometalk. You need to consider your 'style' or the look of the room and the purpose of a 3-D headboard before making a choice about what you'd like. Storage? Extra padding to sit up and read? A special look? Lots of things to think about. Don't limit yourself with one odd piece of repurposed wood.

• Robyn Garner

Take some visits to Goodwill and other donation sites in your area. Headboards abound as well as online sales locally. I would hold off for a "real" headboard instead of trying to make decals and shelf look like one.

• Michelle

So when you almost to sleep and come wth why didn't think of this before. I had existing shelf on wall coming into bedroom. Brilliant push bed over gives me shelf to my water bottle, glasses, etc. I then move bureau to current placement. Left desk has is, I have a small bedroom. In empty corner i will place a comfy chair. The bedroom also serves as a guest room a few times a year. Never mind the mess I made

I agree with To Work With My Hands. The board looks good. Add a border of wood to make it fit the bed. Paint, stain, decal, add trim, upholster. All kinds of possibilities.

• Agnes Chrzanowska

of course but please remove those mounting brackets :)

• Debi53

I agree with Robyn. Shop yard sales or Goodwill for a headboard. It will be the right size. I think the shelf is too short both in width and height.

• Joyce

I think You should try to attach it on the Other side/So the Vine Decorative part shows In the Front???In other words Behind the top bed frame thas already there.