DIY Cornice Board

$10

wood Cornice

I love discovering ways to add unique details to a space. Sometimes the smallest details make the biggest difference—those are what really define them and leave a lasting impression. What better way to add some easy and affordable Farmhouse Charm to a builder grade bathroom than with a DIY Wood Shower Cornice.

As you may already know, we are not living in our “home” state—we currently live in Florida. This means we are constantly hosting family and friends—we LOVE having a full house. We are expecting a few guests next week and we want to make them feel welcomed b y refreshing our guest bathroom. 

As I was looking for inspiration, I stumbled across a rustic wood valance and I automatically knew it was something our small guest bathroom needed.

We still had wood leftover from our  wood beam mantle so this DIY Wood Shower Cornice was another free project that made a huge impact.

This how we made this easy DIY Wood Shower Cornice

We gathered our..Supplies:

•  1- 1x6x8
  • 4 wood screws
  • 150 grit sandpaper
  • inwax dark walnut stain

Tools:

• Measuring tape
  • Miter saw
  • Pocket hole maker

STEP 1

First, we measured the distance between the two walls -for us, it was 70 inches.

STEP 2

Then we drilled small holes where we wanted to place the wood cornice— we checked for studs.

STEP 3

Proceeded to cut the wood down to size and make pocket holes at each end.

STEP 4

Followed by sanding the wood, then stained it with Minwax in Dark Walnut.

STEP 5

After the stain had dried, we hung it on the wall using wood screws and the predrilled pocket holes. 

STEP 6

HANG!!

We hung the curtains behind our finished DIY Wood Shower Cornice using a tension rod.

This small piece of wood makes the shower-tub combo look and feel like it’s own separate little space, which I love. It also does a great job of hiding the shower curtain rod which it’s a plus.

With just this simple and easy project not only did we add a little Farmhouse Charm to our bathroom, but we are sure to leave an everlasting impression on our future guests.

Check out how it all came together- Small Bathroom Refresh!!!

Don't forget to subscribe to receive more inspirations and DIYs!Do you have a builder grade bathroom? What ideas have you tried to make it better? I would love to know!

Home Defined HD

• Jennifer Medina

Okay, so this might be a very stupid question.. but.. it’s okay!!.. lol..

where the heck do you find LONG shower curtains And the liner?

• Carol

It looks nice. But where do you find a shower curtain that opens in the middle?

• Amanda

Buy 2 one for each side and an accent one for the middle.

• Patty Elliott

can you put up a cornice if you have shower doors?

• Peggy Moore

I would think so. Just secure it about 3 inches in front of the door frame. Be sure to check head room. If the configuration of your shower does not allow for side mounting, use “L” strap to mount to ceiling studs.

• Lifestyles Homes

Most showers do not have the exhaust fan in the shower and with no “breathing space” now above the plastic shower curtains for the steam,

this would make those showers have a mold problem.

• Bobbie

Would it be pretty easy to change curtains and hooks when finished

I have pallets does it matter