Deer Run Revamps
Deer Run Revamps
  • Barnegat, NJ

How To Get An Elegant Floral Look On Furniture With Video Tutorial

$80

Last week, I did a tutorial on creating elegant foam pumpkins and everyone loved them so much but many were left asking the same questions...do you have a video tutorial and can this technique be done on furniture?

So I decided to create this jewelery chest using the same techniques as the pumpkins....and make a video to go along with it 😉

First things first...

Prep your piece. Your finish is only as good as your prep 😁

I cleaned the piece using Sugar Soap, a nontoxic cleaner made by Frenchic Furniture Paint that removes dirt, grease, grime, even nicotine!

Once the piece dried, using 220 grit sandpaper, I did a quick scuff sand of the entire piece.

Then I wiped down the chest using just plain ole' water to remove sanding dust and any Sugar Soap residue.

This chest was a very dark wood with hints of red. If you're using a different paint, I'd recommend priming first. But it is not necessary with Frenchic Furniture Paint

Time to paint 😁

Using Frenchic Furniture Paint's petite oval paintbrush (great brushes and they make a size for every project), I painted the piece in Frenchic's "Stormy" , a beautiful Lavendar/Blue/Periwinkle color.

To get around the edges and not get any paint onto the gorgeous pink felt, I used a smaller detailed brush

Once you have your piece painted, you can start making molds!

I used many different decor moulds for this project...

Bell Orchids

Winter Blooms

In Bloom

Forest Flora

Estruscan Rose

Redesign with Prima offers dozens of decor moulds, pick your favorite(s) and have fun creating a design!

You'll also need wood glue, corn starch, paper clay, and 2 flat detail paintbrushes, one for the glue, and one for the corn starch.

Video tutorial for this stage of the project is at the top of this page.

Continue on for text directions

Brush the mould with corn starch. You don't want it piled up, just lightly dusted all over.

Tear off a clump of paper clay and squish it in your hands to warm it up a little.

Then press it down into the silicone mould. Make sure you get into the corners, and remove any excess clay as you press down. It's easier to remove the excess while still in the mould.

Now, flip the silicone mould over and slowly peel it back while carefully helping the paper clay mold out.

Once you have the paper clay mold out of the silicone mould, carefully flip it over and brush wood glue all over the back. Don't gunk it up too much, as you press it down onto the furniture, the glue will ooze out. So keep that in mind while applying the glue.

Now press the clay mold into place on the furniture.

You can overlap clay molds, just be sure that it is adhering well.

Take the brush that you used to brush on the corn starch and brush off any excess glue that oozed out. Then wipe off the brush

If at any point the paper clay molds seem to not be staying in place, you can either lay the piece of furniture down so that the surface that you are applying the clay molds to is flat and horizontal...or carefully add a piece of delicate frog tape to hold it in place for 12 hours.

Continue on making and gluing clay molds until you have a design that you're happy with.

Allow the clay to dry for a minimum of 12 hours, preferably 24 hours until the clay is hardened.

Now take your base color and paint the paper clay molds, making sure you get into the details and all around the sides.

Once the paint has dried, brush the molds with Frensheen ❤️

Frensheen is a mineral metallic pigment made by Frenchic Furniture Paint. These pigments are unbelievably bright and shimmery. And a little bit goes a long way so one jar will last quite awhile!

You can use Frensheen in numerous ways..add it wax for a metallic colored wax...add it to paint for a subtle shimmer...or my favorite way, add it to Frenchic's Finishing Coat, an extremely durable waterbased top coat. This creates an easy to use glaze. For this project, I mixed both Gorgeous Gold and Sexy Silver Frensheen with a bit of Finishing Coat.

Using a flat detail brush, I lightly brushed the Frensheen over the raised areas of the hardened paper clay molds.

If you accidentally get some Frensheen on the Furniture itself, just take a small brush and go over it with your base color

I then went over the entire piece with clear wax and added a little white wax into the corners of the drawers, and a bit on the legs to give it more if a French Country look.

(Forgot to take photos applying the wax)

I like to use foam car wax applicators to apply wax to furniture. I'll use a brush to get into any details.

When using chalk/mineral paint and then applying a colored wax or glaze, always apply clear wax first! The chalk/mineral paint is very porous. By applying clear wax first, you form a barrier between the colored wax/glaze and the paint. This will give you a lot more work time with the wax or glaze.

That's it! You have a unique one of a kind piece of furniture ❤️

Look for Deer Run Revamps on Facebook and Instagram to see more unique pieces

You can find all of these products, including the jewelry chest, in store or online in my Etsy shop and some in my eBay store.

These new fall release decor moulds have been very popular and a few are out of stock until mid November. If you want one that you do not see in my Etsy store, send me a message. I can either find one for you or let you know when they will be back in stock.

Be sure to check out my previous tutorials right here on Hometalk!

Feel free to reach out with any questions 😉

To see more: https://www.etsy.com/shop/DeerRunRevamps

• Veronica

So I noticed some tears in the paper clay molds when you removed them. Do you just fix the tear with your hand before applying? Or is there another way to fix? I’ve never worked with this medium before and I love the look!

• Deer Run Revamps

I enjoy the look of tears and cracks. It gives it a true vintage feel. So I usually don't go back and fix anything. But you certainly could if you wanted a more perfect, clean look

• Robyn Garner

Absolutely gorgeous sides on the piece! I love the the intricate and flowing floral display. 😎🌸

I have no experience using paper clay. How well do the appliques hold up? Must one be very cautious even touching them or can you do this on furniture that is used every day if you seal well with poly?

• Deer Run Revamps

It can be used on furniture that will get heavy use. Just be sure that they are adhered well to the surface, and use caution until they are fully dried (24-48hrs)

• Devona

I have a mirror Someone throwing out because the plastic coated wood frame was Randomly breaking Off. This technic would be great. How would and/or what would you use to adhere the appliqués to the plastic portions of the frame?

• Caroline

Lovely. Rarely comment on anything but this piece and process was unique to me.

• Debby Loveday

This is absolutely the loveliest piece of furniture finish I have ever seen. I hope to try it on 2 old night stands and a chest of drawers.

• Barbara

Ooooooo I sure hope it turns out great for you. I so think it’s so beautiful.