How can I cover these wooden numbers when I paint?

Catherine Deirdre RoddenDeeAgnes Chrzanowska
+7

There are wooden numbers embedded in the concrete at the end of my sidewalk. I plan to sand and repaint them. What can I put on them to protect them?

• Gk

Marine spar varnish

• Kelli L. Milligan

Paint with oil based exterior paint and use Marine varnish. At least 3 coats.

• DesertRose

You can buy paint sealant to protect painted objects such as your numbers from the weather. You can find it at most places that sell paint. I use the spray ones, as they are much easier to put on and seal all around the wood, even on the sides and where they are attached to the concrete.

• Louise

You could try laying on them.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

Use a spray sealer for wood. You can find it at any hardware store.

• Kathy

Hi chris. Howzabout painting over them as it could serve as an undercoat, then paint them your choice ov colour.

Helmsman Marine Spar Urethane. Used on boats.

• Agnes Chrzanowska

only paint .. concrete doesn't have to be protected in a different way

• Dee

Spar varnish will definitely work, after all it is made for boats.

• Catherine Deirdre Rodden

You can cover them in painters tape which is like blue masking tape easily found in the paint section of your hardware store. Or if I misread your question, you can cover the concrete in newspaper using the painters tape right up to the numbers. An exacto knife to uncover the numbers only so when you peel off, you won't take any of your new paint layer with the tape.