DIY Door Hanger From Thrift Store Framed Art

$10

You don't have to go the traditional wreath route! This simple repurposed DIY door hanger breaks the rules with unique individuality and a frugal price tag in the bargain!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

This DIY Door Hanger is my rebellion against the traditional wreath.

I do love a great  wreath, but I can’t deny my affinity to bend the rules of convention and come up with something a little different. 

For my wreath rebellion, I used two thrift finds:

First, this lovely framed art print that was just $3. 

And a flat back little basket boasting a cute little tulip trio.

To be honest, I really adore tulips. But I had something totally different in mind, so they had to go.

To get started, I relieved the frame of its very interesting paint.

The sanding was made super simple by one fantastic tool! Click the link at the end of this post to visit the blog for details.

My sanding will never be the same!

If you're fainthearted, you'll want to scroll right past this part.

The ugly side of thrifting is that sometimes you get into some yucky stuff. That was the case with the paper-back on this frame.

The mildew left me only one option - get rid of it!

I removed the hangers and ripped all of the paper off, then sanded over the bare wood for a clean finish.

Next, I brought in a couple of my great thrift flipping friends: Deco-Art acrylic craft paint and wax.

What a difference a fresh coat of paint can make! And I love the soft sheen finish and protection a layer of wax adds.

Instead of ditching the print, I glued it to the cardboard backing, creating a stronger surface, and decoupaged a piece of matching fabric over it.

Once dried, I pressed it back into the frame and secured with a staple gun.

Back to the basket...I filled it with some softer fall-themed florals and a cute little pumpkin, front and center.

To put it all together, I glued the basket onto the frame and added a ribbon for hanging. (Once the frame was dry, I had replaced the metal hanger hardware.)

I love how it turned out, but I especially loved tweaking the traditional wreath for some DIY door decor that is sure to be unique. 

So if you’re not a traditionalist when it comes to wreaths, or just love doing things thrifty or a little differently, take my simple idea and use it to inspire your own fabulous DIY door hanger!

Happy Thrifting!

Karen

31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
15 Memorial Day Crafts
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
15 Perfectly Round Tables
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
To Work With My Hands

• Mrs Calabash

Why didn’t you put it on the door?

• Robyn Garner

What did you use that made "sanding never be the same" for you???

• Lisa DiAnn

You can use a power sander, an orbital (round) or the belt type. Also you can get a sanding block that you attach a sheet of sand paper to it. Or you can use a paint/varnish removing gel, depending on the finish of your frame, then sand the rest of the way until 'clean' and smooth.