Aida
Aida
  • Warminster, PA

How can I preserve hand prints made on fabric?

Fiddledd224EmilyNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CA

how can I preserve my late husbands hand prints, which he left marked on a blanket (fabric)while putting it away?

• How about sacrificing a portion of the blanket and cutting it down (if possible), and shadow box the hand prints so you have them forever. You can turn the blanket into a throw and still use it.

• Aida

Thanks, I will try to do that. Hopefully I won't disturb the print when I take it out of bin and try to handle blanket. I want to save it so I can give it to our 13 year old daughter who was with him when he tragically passed away due to drowning in beach. Wish I could somehow freeze it with some sort of spray or something so it wont mess up.

• Emily

Aida, your post touches my heart. You must have loved your husband dearly. First I would scan, or photograph the hand prints, so you have them in that way. I agree with Naomie about cutting the blanket down or even just maybe folding it, so the hand prints show and storing it in a clear plastic box? Away from the sun or any bright light.

• Emily

What a tragic death and a tragedy for your family too with your illness. He sounds like a wonderful man. I have never seen anything like this and I used to deal in fabrics. You were meant to have these and to keep them. Just try not to disturb them. Life does give us unexpected messages and this appears to be one for you. I wish you and your family well.

• Fiddledd224

I would trace it and fill it in with a permanent marker like Sharpie.