No, The paint will burn off. Fumes may be harmful.
no i would not paint anything that goes into fireplace. Red lava rocks will get dusty anyway and turn black after first fire
You're better off getting/purchasing black lava rocks. They retain heat very well.
You can use heat resistant paint. They use it on grills all the time. I got mine at Lowe’s.
Hi Joyce: I agree with Lucky, buy the black lava rocks. Less mess, fumes and general ickyness:) Good luck
Yes make sure you use heat resistant paint.