How do I clean paint spills off an antique wood sign?

Laura CooperLori , WisconsinCourtney |The Kitchen Garten

Have an antique wood sign that got accidental paint blotches on it. I want to clean off the blotches without removing the painted lettering on sign. I don't know what type of paint spilled on it. Sign is 75+ years old.

• Diluted paint thinner on a clean cloth may work, but just be really careful around the parts you don’t want the paint removed. Lightly sanding those spots may also help.

• Lori , Wisconsin

Thanks. I was thinking along those lines using a q-tip to applied thinner. I can try a test near the edge first.

• Laura Cooper

If it was a latex paint, warm soapy water will lift it. Wet the area and let it sit for a couple of minutes, then wipe gently. The latex will lift off the surface. If this does not cut it, then try your solvent. There are Goo Gone products specifically for automotive use that should be easier on your paint.