How do I pull up old carpet, and then lay down hardwood floors?

MEGKelli L. MilliganOliva
+1

How do I remove old carpet and what tools do I need and what tools do I need to lay hardwood floors how do I measure the floors so I no how much to purchase

• Fiddledd224

To measure, take the room dimensions to the flooring department of your home improvement store and ask them to calculate the materials, with them adding some allowance for mistakes, shortages.

• Oliva

You'll find videos on You Tube concerning removing old carpet and laying hardwood floors.

• Kelli L. Milligan

Length x width + 10 to 15%. Measure closets and thru doorways. Go to a stand alone flooring store, not a big box hardware store to get better help and product.To remove carpet all you need is pliers to grab a corner and upper body strength and a sharp box cutter to cut it up or a carpet knife. To remove pad and tact strip; a firm putty knife or small pry bar and a hammer. Pliers to pull out all the staples. Watch some you tube videos on carpet removing and hardwood flooring install. It will let you know what you're getting into. Personally I'd hire out the wood floor finishing part. If you're not used to those big Sanders it's easy to gouge and mess up floor

• MEG

I just removed 20 yr old wall to wall carpeting from my master bedroom. Yuck. I pulled the edges away from the baseboards then using a box cutter cut carpet into smaller sections that I could roll and tie and discard. Took me 4 hrs to do this but was happy I did because I had wood look tile installed that's so much neater and cleaner to maintain. No more carpeting in my house. Stain and dirt and dust collector ugh.