Asked on Oct 22, 2019

Do I need a resistor for this chandelier wiring?

WilliamK. Rupp


I am hoping to connect these multiple bulbs, thinking of a DIY chandelier and really like these standalone candle lamps by Darice. I'm going to try the pictured way.

Here's my question: if I have 6 lights and each says 120V and 5W, do I need to add some resistor (green) on the existing wiring from the old hanging lamp? Or in another place, individually on blue/black wires of my new lamps? I noticed that their original plugs have a tiny built-in resistor.

Thank you!

3 answers
  • K. Rupp
    on Oct 23, 2019

    I will get my hubby to look at this....he was EE and does all the electrical in our house. Using this response so I can get back to your question easy.

  • K. Rupp
    on Oct 24, 2019

    Hi Ed, I had my husband look at this. This is what he told me:

    Each bulb is rated for 120 V which is what your normal socket produces. These candles were originally designed to plug in to an outlet, so your wiring diagram is correct and would provide 120 V to each bulb. You wouldn't need a resistor and the bottom picture he doesn't think is a resistor. That bottom pic may be a fuse.

    You might want to play around with one of the candles (unplugged of course) to see if you can pull the thing out. If it looks like a glass cylinder with 2 metal end caps and a thin wire going from end to end inside the cylinder, then it is a fuse.

    So.... that fuse is sized according to 1 bulb and is meant for 1 single bulb but now you have a load of 6 bulbs. You have multiplied that by 6 which will draw more current.

    These bulbs are so small that it wouldn't draw enough current to trip a breaker but could still cause a fire because of the overload which is why they put a fuse in.

    You might want an electrician to look at it and properly size a new fuse(for 6) and help build a plug to wire these candles to. Good Luck!

    The chandelier will look the idea and look you are going for. I hope you can get some help with it!!!

  • William
    on Oct 29, 2019

    That is a fuse not a resistor. It is used in the UK, Ireland, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia and several other countries. It's categorized as plug type G by the International Electrotechnical Commission. The plug incorporates several safety features, including a fuse to protect the power cord and equipment The function of the fuse is to protect the power cord/flex from overheating and possibly catching fire. In a short circuit situation, a distribution circuit will supply current greater than a power cord/flex is capable of carrying (possibly tens of thousands of amps). The fuse in the plug will blow to protect the cord and may also protect wiring/components within an appliance. A fuse will also blow when more moderate overloads occur (e.g. attempting to power too many appliances from an extension reel or multi-gang socket strip). Since the lights are made in China and exported to all countries. Rather than make unfused plugs only for the USA and fused for other countries they just make one (fused) to keep production cost down. Your wiring is correct and you don't need a fuse. Just wire the plug directly.

Your comment...