How do I stop skunks and squirrels from tearing up my garbage?

Naomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CAGabrielle FalkBetsy
+1

• Laura Cooper

Really strong smells helps. I spray down my trash bags with a dilute bleach solution. I've also heard that cayenne works.

Hi Tammie: What I use is a mix of water and Clove Oil, or Oil of Clove (same thing, different name) as a spray using 1/2 bottle (they are about 2" tall) of Clove Oil and 16 oz of water. Put in a spray bottle and spray this where the animals tear things up. One taste of this and they should leave the area alone. It won't hurt them at all and smells great. You can get Clove Oil where they sell candy making supplies, or in your grocery store by the cooking/baking area. And, it only costs about $2. You can use other things, like moth balls, etc., but they smell awful :p So, the Clove Oil is the nicest thing you can use. Good luck

• Gabrielle Falk

I stopped one of my little dogs from chewing the outside table legs (which table was under the outside pergola) -by smearing Tabasco sauce on the bottom part of the table legs. Up to about 9". No need for fancy sprays, etc.. Or convoluted mixtures. This method also stopped my other little dog from chewing the waste disposal hose from the washing machine that goes into the drain - Tabasco - equals no chewing, no problem. You may have to sprinkle a little Tabasco every so often, but after a while, because animals are not silly (unlike many 'people'), they will associate that smell, or fierce (hot) taste with the rubbish etc. - and will not return. You may have to keep up this regime - off and on - but if if solves the problem, well this is an easy fix. Oh. And make sure that your garbage bins have a tight lid, and that it is closed tightly every night. Plus, again, if the lid is tightly secured, sprinkle Tabasco on the lid. Mind you. Make sure you have gloves on if you use Tab. because if you rub your eyes, or face without thinking - you will be so sorry - because the harder you rub to get rid of the 'heat', the worse it will become. With every solution, there is always a possible hazzard.

• Can you purchase bins with lids? My waste management services provides 3 bins - recycle which is blue, grass and yard waste is green and for any other household trash in a black bin. Back in the day, one had to provide their own trash cans, either metal or plastic, with lids and we used a dolly to move to the curb each week. Is that an option for you?