Craft an Autumn Sunflower Door Hanger

$15

Who doesn't love a nice floral door hanger at the entrance of their home? With fall around the corner, I thought I would put together a sunflower and fall feelin' piece to decorate the entrance of my friend's house. To make it a little more interesting I attached all the floral elements to a LED lit branch. This project can be done super cheap with most flowers and attachments being purchased from the dollar store.

To make it a little more interesting I attached all the floral elements to a LED lit branch. This project can be done super cheap with most flowers and attachments being purchased from the dollar store.

SUPPLIES:

• Variety of fall foliage
  • LED lit branch
  • Scissors
  • Floral Wire
  • Floral Tape
  • Door Hanger

STEP 1: Prepare the flowers

Pull all the flowers apart so they are individual pieces versus grouped into bunches.

STEP 2: Prepare the LED branches

Unwind your LED branch and spread out the twiggy parts so they stick out from the sides.

STEP 3: Arrange first cluster

Arrange your background floral elements over the LED branch. For the background flowers, it is smart to use smaller flowers and grassy/twiggy pieces. You will be making 3 different clusters of flowers down the LED branch with the largest at the top. Make sure to just arrange one big cluster toward the top of the branch at this point.

STEP 4: Secure your design

Take your floral tape and wrap the stems of the background flowers and twigs to the LED branch. Trim any excess stems away from the piece.

Bend the stems of your sunflowers (or the variety of your choice) so that the flower sits flat over the background flowers and place it where you want.

Wrap the wire stem around the LED branch to hold it in place. You can also tape the stem down to give it extra security.

STEP 5: Fill in bald spots

Fill in any empty spaces by feeding extra small flowers behind your main flowers and secure them in place on the branch.

STEP 6: Create 2 more clusters

As mentioned before you will be making 3 clusters down the length of the branch. For the second cluster move down a good 6-8 inches and repeat all the steps done above, but making a smaller cluster of flowers. This will be the middle cluster so it will be a medium sized cluster.

Once you are done move another 6-8 inches down and do a smaller cluster. For instance, for the top cluster, I used 7-8 sunflowers then, for the middle cluster I used 4-5 and then the bottom one I used 3.

STEP 7: Hang your creation

Bend the top of your LED branch over so that it has a nice "hook" to hang the hanger from. Using a door hanger, a nail or screw or even a sticky hanger hang your floral arrangement on the door of your choice.

Because all of the flowers are simply twisted or taped to the branch you can remove them and switch them out with spring / winter themed items as well and change it up each season!

• Lynx

For the love of Mike, don’t use scissors. You’ll ruin them. Most faux floral stems have wire in them. Get a pair of small wire snips.

• Susan

I have been to 9 stores looking for the led branch and cannot find it anywhere! I even purchased something that looked similar on Amazon after following the link but it was not at all what I needed. I’ve purchased everything else and my granddaughter and I are really excited to make these, but I’m missing the critical piece. HELP!