Natural Holiday Decor Using Evergreen Cuttings

$30
1 Day

This project shares all about preserving evergreen cuttings in resin, which is a beautiful and fairly straightforward way to do it. I preserved evergreen leaves (from arborvitae trees, to be exact) in resin to make beautiful holiday decor. The first step is to get a shallow wooden tray.

Then I painted this using black craft paint and added a simple "happy holidays" sticker in the middle. You can make this center embellishment say whatever you want, or you can skip it all together and just make the whole tray greens. This would be really pretty for a serving tray.

Next I dried my evergreen clippings. If you don't let them dry completely, they will brown when you seal them in resin. The extra moisture might also interfere with the resin's ability to cure.

Once totally dry, you can pour the first layer of resin into the tray and position the leaves how you'd like them. Then will move a bit as the resin settles, just use a toothpick to carefully drag them back into place after about 30 minutes.

As the resin cures, it will create air bubbles at the surface. I used a heat gun to pop all of the air bubbles in mine. If you don't have a heat gun or don't want to buy one, you can use a hair dryer, but put it on the lowest air setting and start from very far away from the piece. (I used a hair dryer on this galaxy-inspired resin paint pour art.)

Otherwise, you might end up with resin everywhere, which would be a nightmare to clean up! I personally love the heat gun because it can be easily controlled and it doesn't blow too much.

Once you've popped all the bubbles, let this layer set up for a few hours. Then pour the second layer of resin on to completely coat all of the elements. Repeat the same air bubble popping process, whichever method you chose. And here's the finished piece!

If you want to read more about this project, I have a super detailed post up about it that you can check out at the link next to my picture below. It has a bunch of tips for working with resin and different ways to dry natural elements to seal them in resin! If you like resin projects, definitely check out my hexagon-shaped resin coasters, which would make a great holiday gift!

Brittany @by Brittany Goldwyn

• Leslie Dorman

What are the tray dimensions?

• Terry

How did you dry the evergreens? Don't they turn brown as they dry? Did you put in microwave? (I do that to dry herbs to keep their color.)