$10 Front Porch Planter

$20

This is a $10 front porch planter...that looks like it cost a lot more! This actually cost me $10 in lumber because I used all furring strip lumber, not the nicer stuff. But it worked out really well. The total came to under $20 once I factored in the screws I had to buy.

First I cut and sanded over 30 pieces of wood. Sounds hard, but it's not that bad! Each of the four sides has 4 vertical pieces and 2 horizontal cleats. Then there is the bottom of the planter and the 45-degree angle mitred top. I sanded these pieces using my orbital sander to clean them up—an essential step when working with furring strips. Wear gloves and watch for splinters.

Then I assembled each of the four sides. All four sides are the exact same.

After I'd finished the four sides, I began building the actual planter. I used wood screws to join the sides together like this.

And then once all of the sides were joined, I added the slatted bottom to hold the plant pot. You can drill holes for drainage, but I just left some slight gaps between the slats for sufficient drainage.

The trim along the top of the planter really gives it the finished look! Oh...and the white finish. I decided to paint mine to cover some of the bad spots on the wood, and it looks amazing! The perfect porch planter for our small front porch.

What do you think? I just sat a plant in a plastic pot down into the planter so I didn't have to deal with the wear constant wet soil would have on the wood on the inside of the planter.

My friend Timisha at Tool Box Divas designed this cute little build! For more details about this project and links to the full printable plants, click the link by my pic below! And if you like easy DIY planters, check out my cute plywood planter made with hairpin legs and my nifty suspended hanging plant pot holder DIY!

Brittany @by Brittany Goldwyn

• Lisa West

This planter is absolutly cute. I realise you dint want it to fit from moisture. Why dont you seal the peice when you get a chance. There many paints and dealers out there in the market for project like this. It would last so much longer. There are also dealers that can be painted over as well if and when you decide to switch it up for a change as your taste in colors change and trends. Kust a thought. It's very cute. Great job. My fiance is a wood worker carpenter person. It's his profession. He seals every thing if it will be near any kind of moisture. I have to show him this. He would def like it. Thank you so much for sharing.

• Marilyn

Love it. Thanks for the inspiration.