Easy DIY Cat Scratching Post

$15

This one is for all of my fellow cat lovers out there! I'm sharing an easy DIY for how to make a cat scratching post. Cat scratchers are a good way to help encourage your kitties to scratch in designated areas...NOT on your furniture! (I can't guarantee is will work for stubborn kitties, but it certainly helps ours!)

First I started with an unfinished wooden dowel from the hardware store. 24 inches (or 2 feet) is a good size for a scratching post.

Then I grabbed some jute cord. Sisal rope also works well. To start off the post, I added a dab of glue to the end of the jute and used a handheld staple gun to staple it in place about 6 inches above the bottom of the dowel. You will remove this staple when the glue dries.

I then slathered glue generously up the dowel and wound the jute tightly around it. I placed another staple to hold everything tight once I was about halfway up the dowel. Then, once I'd wrapped everything how I wanted it, I cut the jute, dabbed glue on the end, and stapled it down.

While the glue dried, I grabbed a piece of scrap plywood that was about 14" by 14". The key is that it is just big enough to provide a stable base for the scratching post while the kitties are scratching. I used painter's tape to create a geometric design using black and bronze craft paint.

Then I attached the dowel using glue and a few nails driven up through the base of the scratcher for reinforcement. I also carefully removed the staples I'd put on the jute to hold everything in place while the glue dried. This is VERY IMPORTANT because you don't want your kitty's nails to get caught!

For more details and specifics about this project, click the link next to my picture below! You also might like checking out the DIY cat tree I made using REAL tree branches and my side table with hairpin legs that doubles as a cat house! Yes, I love my cats. :)

Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
By Brittany Goldwyn

• PamPam

I bought a small wooden two step ladder and wrapped it for my kitty. She loved it because it was not just a scratching post, but a jungle gym. I put it near the window and she would sit on the top to sunbathe. I used two different sized of jute or sisal to make it more interesting and left some dangly things off the sides.

• Leslie Cain Nolder

A 4" PVC pipe with end caps would give him more scratch area. Rub it down with catnip to get him to use it!