Add a Farmhouse Touch With Fence Pickets & Wood Crates

$110

I decided for the holiday season to give my porch a refresh. I wanted it to be low budget but I was willing to invest in two faux cedar trees because they will last for many years. Somewhere towards the end of this project, I wandered into Lowe’s to buy some fence pickets for another project. On the drive home, I began envisioning these pickets framing my front door. I was so excited... my plan is to also tack Christmas decor to them. What would you do, if you had these at your front door. I can’t wait to hear all of your ideas.

The first step was cleaning the glass and sweeping the porch before adding some new decor to the front door area.

I love Sprayway glass cleaner. I’ve been using it for years. It cuts through dirt, grime and dog slobber.  Does anyone else love this glass cleaner?

I bought baskets from Target and when I opened the box, they were a lot smaller than expected. So I decided to try to elevate them with wooden crates. Originally, I was going to use planters but since it is fall, there wasn’t a great selection of two matching planters.

Because I seem to kill all my front door plants, I’ve thrown in the towel and I purchased faux cedar trees from Amazon. I spent days reading reviews and deciding on if I should buy the two 3-foot tall trees or the two 4-foot tall trees. I went with the three foot tall trees. But to be truthful, I think the 4 foot tall would have looked better.

When I put them in the basket, I felt like I could give them the illusion of being taller by slipping something under them inside the basket. I slipped an inverted flower pot inside and placed the tree on top.

I bought dog ear pickets and they are very affordable. For around $10, you can add some major farmhouse appeal to your front door.

I used these brass colored screws because I thought I might attach the pickets through the front and I thought this would look pretty. In the end, I went through the backside so they aren’t seen in this project.

I cut a small piece of wood to attach the three pickets together across the top.

I attached it from the back with the screws.

To attach to the crate, I used another crate at the top as a placeholder/level work surface.

I screwed them into the backside of the upside down crates and used a piece of scrap wood at the top.

I’m not even sure how I decided to add these fence pickets but I am so glad I did. I think they really add height and dimension to the doorway. Here they are fresh from Lowe’s and just leaning in place.

It was this girl’s birthday yesterday. She is 9 years old! She is such a good dog sitting there for me.

I love how 6 fence pickets brought this to a whole new level. I love how when I drive up, the fence pickets really catch my eye.

I can just see two Christmas wreaths hanging on either side of the door.

Now for painting the door... The paint that I bought is non returnable. But after using the color app , I prefer black but maybe the blue will grow on me.

Click the link below to go to Part 2...

https://www.hometalk.com/44062801/paint-it-blue-painting-my-front-door-greenery-decor

• Lyn

Where did your buffalo check door mat come from?? I love it!! The whole thing!!!