Alcohol Inks and Marble Hexagon Coasters

$25

This is a project that I have been wanting to do for quite some time and my major stumbling block was finding the right sized marble hexagon tiles. I looked high and low and low and high and they were not to be found anywhere around me.

You can do this marble coaster project in a variety of ways. You can go all out and be bold and wild with alcohol inks or you can play it subdued or you can be somewhere in the middle.

Materials:

• 12 3" inch hexagon marble tiles
  • Alcohol inks
  • Adhesive backed cork
  • 91% isopropyl alcohol (or alcohol blending solution)
  • Posca paint pens
  • Pin point syringe
  • Utility knife
  • Gloves

STEP 1: Cut the tile off the sheet

I ended up finding the correct sized tiles on Amazon and with Prime it was free shipping and cost about $13 for 12 tiles.

The tile comes connected with a mesh that I used a utility knife to cut through and remove a single hexagon.

STEP 2: Stick your tile to cork backing

I laid my tile on cork board and then I used my handy dandy utility knife to cut around it.

STEP 3: Drip alcohol ink on your tiles

Play with your inks to get a design that speaks to your style. Feel free to squeeze colors over each other to create a finished look.

You can start with ink as the first layer or the isopropyl alcohol first then you can drop droplets of isopropyl alcohol on top. Dropping white alcohol ink on top of colors is so much fun to watch. The white ink is heavy and pushes the other ink out and around.

STEP 4: Add drops of alcohol over your ink

I used this 91% alcohol and a pin point syringe to create the droplets on top of the ink.

It is addicting... be forewarned.

Because the marble is so porous, you do not need to seal these coasters. 

You can do this marble coaster project in a variety of ways. You can go all out and be bold and wild with alcohol inks or you can play it subdued or you can be somewhere in the middle. Enjoy!

30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
Everything Red For Canada Day
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home

• Mlm
    Mlm

What are the paint pens for? Do they act the same way as the alcohol paint? This looks so cool and could be a fun project.

• Stacy Davis
      Stacy Davis

I’m not sure how they would react with alcohol drops...that could be a fun experiment. I kinda suspect that they would react in a similar fashion. I used the paint pens to write SIP (in Rae Dunn style) on them.

• Cheryl
    Cheryl

when it dries, will it be waterproof? Or what can you use to make it waterproof?

• Donna
      Donna

You should never seal a functional coaster. Any condensation that drips down a glass (the whole point of using a coaster) will run down and pool over the sides of the coaster causing water damage.

• Nancy
    Nancy

Absolutely I’m inspired! My daughter and grandkids live near the beach, what a great project all of them can do as a family. The first thing that popped in my head was the beautiful sea glass colors that would be perfect for the coasters! You can bet I’ll be doing this diy as well!💕 thank you for sharing!

• Carolyn
    Carolyn

We made these before and sealed with a polyurethane spray, but they were scratched badly by the glasses.