Alcohol Inks and Marble Hexagon Coasters

$25

This is a project that I have been wanting to do for quite some time and my major stumbling block was finding the right sized marble hexagon tiles. I looked high and low and low and high and they were not to be found anywhere around me.

You can do this marble coaster project in a variety of ways. You can go all out and be bold and wild with alcohol inks or you can play it subdued or you can be somewhere in the middle.

Materials:

• 12 3" inch hexagon marble tiles
  • Alcohol inks
  • Adhesive backed cork
  • 91% isopropyl alcohol (or alcohol blending solution)
  • Posca paint pens
  • Pin point syringe
  • Utility knife
  • Gloves

STEP 1: Cut the tile off the sheet

I ended up finding the correct sized tiles on Amazon and with Prime it was free shipping and cost about $13 for 12 tiles.

The tile comes connected with a mesh that I used a utility knife to cut through and remove a single hexagon.

STEP 2: Stick your tile to cork backing

I laid my tile on cork board and then I used my handy dandy utility knife to cut around it.

STEP 3: Drip alcohol ink on your tiles

Play with your inks to get a design that speaks to your style. Feel free to squeeze colors over each other to create a finished look.

You can start with ink as the first layer or the isopropyl alcohol first then you can drop droplets of isopropyl alcohol on top. Dropping white alcohol ink on top of colors is so much fun to watch. The white ink is heavy and pushes the other ink out and around.

STEP 4: Add drops of alcohol over your ink

I used this 91% alcohol and a pin point syringe to create the droplets on top of the ink.

It is addicting... be forewarned.

Because the marble is so porous, you do not need to seal these coasters. 

You can do this marble coaster project in a variety of ways. You can go all out and be bold and wild with alcohol inks or you can play it subdued or you can be somewhere in the middle. Enjoy!

• Mlm

What are the paint pens for? Do they act the same way as the alcohol paint? This looks so cool and could be a fun project.

• Stacy Davis

I’m not sure how they would react with alcohol drops...that could be a fun experiment. I kinda suspect that they would react in a similar fashion. I used the paint pens to write SIP (in Rae Dunn style) on them.

• Cheryl

when it dries, will it be waterproof? Or what can you use to make it waterproof?

• Lisa West

She said the tile is porous and doesnt need to be sealed. How ever is you want to seal your project when you decide to these cute tiles, is you can use a sealer spray paint. I like krylon. Both krylon and rustoleum have great sealers. They have gloss, a tin and flat. Just depends on what you like shiney or not or if you making these as a gift for a loved one or friend depends on what they like. Uou can use modgepodge to as well or polyurethane or a resin. What ever is easy for you. I did woodland stencils on mine for friends and family for Christmas. Just make sure all projects are dry and not dirty from lips from hands like lotion so it gets a good adhesion and not chip off. So have a lot of fun doing this. I dont have alcohol paints. I cant offord them right now. You can use sharpies though the same way. Have fun. If you have kids neices nephews or grandchildren this can also be a great craft day project. Just dont let them use any lighter on the inks unless they are old enough. Not that any one would allow a little kid play with lighters. I hope this helps. And always remember have fun doing these craft projects.

• Nancy

Absolutely I’m inspired! My daughter and grandkids live near the beach, what a great project all of them can do as a family. The first thing that popped in my head was the beautiful sea glass colors that would be perfect for the coasters! You can bet I’ll be doing this diy as well!💕 thank you for sharing!

• Carolyn

We made these before and sealed with a polyurethane spray, but they were scratched badly by the glasses.