DIY Shiplap Backsplash

$6

Want a wow factor in your kitchen? Add a quick and easy DIY Shiplap Backsplash to your kitchen to transform it in minutes!

As we continue the journey to define our home we needed to decide what to do with our builder-grade kitchen. It was just so blah, but we could not agree on what to do until we came across this incidental DIY Shiplap Backsplash.

One day, we decided we would try to paint a patterned backsplash, to see how it would look prior to committing to “real” tiles. 

As the prep work began for what I thought would be a paint project, we came across this awesome hack.

Like with any paint job you need painters tape to protect the areas you don’t want to be painted. So we purchased the thinnest tape we could find -since it was supposed to create grout lines on our painted tiles

When we put on the black tape on our walls we immediately fell in love. We didn’t see the need to add any paint to try and figure out was what was next. 

That simple, tiny, and unexpected piece of tape defined our kitchen. I now sit back and stare with awe at how beautiful my kitchen looks.

This by no means is this meant to be something permanent. This is an excellent option for renters or for people who need something temporary until they are ready for the “real” thing, like us.

Before

This is how you can do this DIY Faux Shiplap Backsplash...

Supplies:

2-3 rolls of 1/8 black pinstripes tape for cars

Tools:

• Pencil
  • Blade
  • Measuring tape

Step 1:

Clean and dry your wall.

Step 2:

Measure and mark every 3.5 inches starting from your countertop up to your cabinets- do it on both sides.

During

Step 3:

Place the tape from one side to the other where you placed your mark, creating a horizontal line. Press the tape down with your fingers.

Like I mentioned before this is not something permanent, but it is durable as this tape is for car exteriors, which can withstand heat and water.

I have already tested mine by wiping my walls down with a wet soapy rag and they remained intact.

Step 4:

Sit back and enjoy your DIY Shiplap Backsplash!

We decorated our counters and were finally inspired to define our own  DIY Coffee Bar and even made a  DIY Mug stand

If you want more shiplap ideas, check out our DIY Shiplap Fireplace Wall.

Don’t forget to share!

15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
Home Defined HD

• Wandamurline

Where did you get the pin stripe adhesive? It is not shown in the materials used.

• Fran2

I’ve even seen it at Walmart in the automotive section.

• Tanya Bauer

When you remove this at a later time does it remove the Sheetrock texture when pulled off. I know it will remove the old paint but some tapes like the compound two way tape will also remove the texture on the walls too.

• Fran2

Did you use automobile tape? This tape is meant to be in the hot sun humid weather and rain it should not come off a wall indoors. Which means when removed it “will” tear the drywall. That’s why we use painters tape on drywall.