DIY Foil and Resin Coasters

$15

Learn how to make resin coasters with foil to add visual texture! It's an easy DIY craft tutorial! See above for the quick video tutorial, so you can see all the steps and exactly how I made them!

See the video for the extended tutorial, so you can see all the steps and exactly how I made them!

Materials:

• Aluminum foil
  • Coaster mold
  • Epoxy resin
  • Resin pigments

STEP 1: Cut circles of aluminum foil

Pull out your aluminum foil and lay a sheet flat.

Cut it into circles the size of the coaster mold.

STEP 2: Crumple up your foil circles

Crumple up the foil and uncrumple it, but don't smooth it out. You'll want those creases in it to get the effect for the coasters.

STEP 3: Mix and color your epoxy resin

I mixed six ounces of resin (according to the instructions on the bottle) and added colors. Two were pigments for resin and one was a pigment powder (blue).

STEP 4: Pour your resin into the molds

I poured the resin into the molds one at a time. Make sure not to feel them up too much, because you'll be adding the foil, too.

STEP 5: Add your foil to the molds

Press your foil circles into the resin. Make sure that they're fully covered by the resin.

Repeat with each of your colors. Once I had the foil in the resin, I popped the bubbles with a lighter.

STEP 6: Let your coasters cure

Then you let them cure for 12 hours before removing them from the molds.

Be sure to click on the link below for more pictures, links to the supplies and more specific directions!

Mona  ~ Craft Klatch

• Wyldecent

Do you think foil would work as the base for a resin countertop? These are so pretty.

• Lisa West

I think they would. I feel it would add a cool sparkle to them. Try it and show us please. Maybe add shells, flowers to something to them too.

• Lisa West

I have been playing with resin lately. Found ou ft a friend of mine has a friend who is homeless with 2 little girls. They have priced ears so I will be making them some earrings for them for Christmas. It was a domestic violence issue. In case any kne wanted to know.

Any ways I have been making jewerly woth my resin. My daughter knows how impatient I am so she brought me resin that sets very quickly with uv Ray's. I love it. I stick it right in the window and it cuts so fast. It how ever does not mix well with liquid colors. So I have been using glitter from my nail stuff. Since I'm a retired nail tech I have alot. Lol. I do have regular resin which I will be playing with today. I do have a question though if your inclined to help. I have a snow flake mold it's really hard to get the over flow off. Any tricks you could share? That would be great. I want to make some ornaments for my tree and sun catches with them. They are very small.

• Donna G

Put a coating of vaseline or WD-40 on the mold before you start pouring the resin. Then it should come off easily.

• Susy

Where I can find resin ?

• Pam

My daughter makes stuff with resin and gets it at craft stores like Michael's or Hobby Lobby. Dont know if they have the resin this needs, but you could call o see IF they have the kind of resin needed for these coasters. 😁

• Rebecca Surette

Boy, did this take me back! Not to coasters, but...a friend with a hard-core 1:1 doll house addiction decided that her "property" needed a stream. We lined the "stream bed" with crumpled foil, added a few little rocks, and poured tinted resin in it. The effect was stunning, and some little part of me has wanted a doll house like that ever since!

• Rebecca Surette

I wish I could, too! This was some 30 years ago, and I don't even know where Deb is now, sadly. But, OH MY, at her dollhouse set up! LOL, she even had different "cooked dinners" to put on the table at the holidays, a tiny lit Christmas tree, and (my fave) a tiny dog in a washtub with soap bubbles on his head. I loved spending time with her, working on it. I can see where that could easily become an obsession.

• Linda

I am getting ready to finish a pair of cornhole game bords basically the same way, beautiful.