Asked on Nov 1, 2019

Is there a way to clean melted plastic off of oven racks?

Deb KSuellen HintzNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CA
+1

Soooo I didn’t know there was food in a container covered with plastic in the over and went to make tatertots and it melted onto the racks...I got all of the plastic off but I’m not sure when it would be okay to use it again??

• Ashlynn Lynae Prater

My mom also doesn’t know because I’m too afraid to tell her even though nobody told me it was in there (and I had JUST gotten home from work.)

• Wash the racks, wipe out the interior of the oven with a white vinegar water solution to sanitize and you are good to go! Your nose will tell you if something isn't right. And now you know to always check the oven first before turning on . . . Living with other people, anything can happen! My girlfriend warms her socks in the oven . . , want a few fire stories? 🤣 Tell mom the truth after cleaning up. She won't be mad, just grateful you told the truth and fixed your error.

• Suellen Hintz

If all the plastic is out, it’s ready to use.

• Deb K

Just make sure it's cleaned, if it's just the racks, I would put a tin tray under the racks and turn the oven on to melt the rest off