Heart Shaped Wall Photo Collage

3 materials
$5

We moved to the dorms almost two months ago.

The room is big enough for our needs but the wall space is relatively small.

I wanted to decor the room to make us feel comfortable and positive during our stay.

The finished product

Since I'm a student on a budget now, I sketched my vision on the computer before printing tons of pictures and fitting them together.

On the computer, using Illustrator (but any software will do) I began cutting the pictures to fit into a square shape and straightening the horizon.

It's was important to me to fix the horizon before printing it because my design was based on perfect squares and I didn't want it to feel crooked.

When I was pleased with the way it looked (after an hour of moving pictures around and correcting its colours) I printed out 32 pictures (4" by 4"). The colour palette was blue and white, to fit the runner my mom made us for the dining table. So I mainly used pictures from our vacation to Greece 2 years ago.

If you are following my projects in the past few months, you probably know by now that I'm an impatient person, so I had to order it to arrive on the next day...

In the meantime, I cleaned the wall using a wet wipe and a dry towel, so the Blu Tack will stick better.

I placed four pieces of Blu Tack, one on each end of the picture. Blu Tack is great when you want to place a picture on the wall without leaving a mark when you remove it. As we are only planning on living here a year, it's important to keep in mind that we need to leave the room as neat as we got it.

I started with the bottom left picture and built it up.

Once I was pleased with the setting and the distance from the edge, my husband made me a spacer as a jig to help me stay straight as I go. It was made out of the package that the printed pictures came in, a 0.6" by 4.6" square to place between each picture before hanging it on the wall.

After I placed the first 10 pictures, aligned with each other, I could place the images on the sides as well.

Only when the right-wing was complete I could start the left side, this way it will definitely be as straight as possible.

I began placing the pictures on the right-wing. Using the jig and the left row as a base point of alignment.

I built a faced down copy of what I want to hang on the table, with Blu Tack glowed to it, ready to go. This helped me stay focus on my design and not making any last-minute changes that I usually do and then regret afterwards.

It's Done!

Close up on the final piece

Questions on this post

Your question...
  1 question

Comments

2 of 12 comments
Next