Marlene
Marlene
  • Hometalk Helper

Make a Decorative Leaf Doily for Fall

$5

While at a friend's home a few weeks ago, I admired a beautiful leaf doily she had in her entrance way and wondered if I could craft something similar. I already had some flat autumn leaves I knew would be perfect for it and found the rest of what I needed at my go-to store, Dollarama.

For this project I used:

• 2 sheets of waxed paper
  • 1 - 12-inch square of burlap
  • 2-3 packages of flat fall leaves
  • Mod Podge
  • 1/2-inch paint brush or other small brush (not shown)

Start by overlapping the two sheets of waxed paper on your work surface and placing the burlap square on top. This will prevent the glue from making a mess of the surface and make it easy to remove the doily when it's finished.

Glue two leaves onto the center of the burlap, making sure they overlap so the burlap doesn't show through.

Continue to overlap leaves with the tips pointing outward to form a circle around the two center leaves.

Continue to glue the leaves onto the burlap, working outward toward the edges of the burlap. When I got this far, I trimmed the excess material, so that the final layer of leaves would hang over the edges of the burlap.

When you're finished adding leaves, give the whole doily a final coat of Mod Podge, making sure that any loose edges are secured. My leaf doily ended up being 14 inches round, but you could make it larger if you wanted to. After the glue is thoroughly dry, the doily will be ready for use.

I really like how my leafy doily turned out. It's perfect for adding seasonal colour to a home. Click the link below to see this and two other fall decorating ideas.

To see more: https://www.dollarstorestyle.com/falldecorideas

• Geribrinley

Can you use real leaves? Will they turn brown even though they've been modge-podged?

• Gypsiwoman

I think that you would have to seal both sides of the leaf completely to keep them from changing colors. Any part of it that is exposed to air could potentially turn brown and crunchy.

• Dreama Gray

Do you glue the leaves to the burlap with Modpodge? Cover entire back?

• Marlene

I used mod podge to glue the leaves to the burlap by covering the back of the leaves with it.