Make a Decorative Leaf Doily for Fall

$5

While at a friend's home a few weeks ago, I admired a beautiful leaf doily she had in her entrance way and wondered if I could craft something similar. I already had some flat autumn leaves I knew would be perfect for it and found the rest of what I needed at my go-to store, Dollarama.

For this project I used:

• 2 sheets of waxed paper
  • 1 - 12-inch square of burlap
  • 2-3 packages of flat fall leaves
  • Mod Podge
  • 1/2-inch paint brush or other small brush (not shown)

Start by overlapping the two sheets of waxed paper on your work surface and placing the burlap square on top. This will prevent the glue from making a mess of the surface and make it easy to remove the doily when it's finished.

Glue two leaves onto the center of the burlap, making sure they overlap so the burlap doesn't show through.

Continue to overlap leaves with the tips pointing outward to form a circle around the two center leaves.

Continue to glue the leaves onto the burlap, working outward toward the edges of the burlap. When I got this far, I trimmed the excess material, so that the final layer of leaves would hang over the edges of the burlap.

When you're finished adding leaves, give the whole doily a final coat of Mod Podge, making sure that any loose edges are secured. My leaf doily ended up being 14 inches round, but you could make it larger if you wanted to. After the glue is thoroughly dry, the doily will be ready for use.

I really like how my leafy doily turned out. It's perfect for adding seasonal colour to a home. Click the link below to see this and two other fall decorating ideas.

Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings

To see more: https://www.dollarstorestyle.com/falldecorideas

• Geribrinley
    Geribrinley

Can you use real leaves? Will they turn brown even though they've been modge-podged?

• Gypsiwoman
      Gypsiwoman

I think that you would have to seal both sides of the leaf completely to keep them from changing colors. Any part of it that is exposed to air could potentially turn brown and crunchy.

• Dreama Gray
    Dreama Gray

Do you glue the leaves to the burlap with Modpodge? Cover entire back?

• Marlene
      Marlene

I used mod podge to glue the leaves to the burlap by covering the back of the leaves with it.

• Barbara
    Barbara

What could you use to make a Spring or Summer themed doily?

• Marlene
      Marlene

You could try using faux leaves from floral stems. My first thought would be to use all the same type of leaf, but a mix might look pretty too. You've given me an idea to make one of these for Chrismas using holly leaves. In any case, we could keep costs down by using florals from what we already have on hand.