Upcycle Furniture - Vintage Office Drawer

$25
Advanced

This project started when I found an old vintage office drawer Dumped next to the garbage can.

I decided to pick it up and turn it into something special.

For a long time, I wondered what to do with it and then suddenly I remembered a wooden vintage legs I had found a few months earlier.

I thought it might be an interesting combination, Metal & Wood furniture.

Hope you'll enjoy reading and find it helpful.

Hope you will like this project, and if you have any comments,

Please write to me. Thank you!

you're invited to subscribe to my YouTube channel and follow all of my projects.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkNrUodcQbCM8FDGp...

Facebook: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkNrUodcQbCM8FDG...

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kultakala_design/

Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/omerorbach/

New stuff coming soon !

Final Result

I disassemble all the pieces that can be separated.

then i sand all the rust with a orbit sander, and prepared the drawer for painting.

Body Work

With a hammer In one hand and a thick iron block in In the other hand i aligned the iron in all the places that were crooked.

Quick Connection for Evaluation

I temporarily connect the legs All together with a clamps and two planks.

So I can see what the final result is going to be.

Table Legs

The table legs weren't in perfect condition, at first I've sand everything with a orbit sander.

Legs Structure Build

I started drawing all the measurements for the structure on a wooden surface, Checking myself all the time with the drawer dimensions and the legs measurements.

I cut all the wood I need, then I put them all in their place on the sketch, then locked them up (with screws into the surface) on both sides with small pieces of wood.

Legs With Legs ?

In order to prevent the legs from falling while it is being glued, I've connect two small pieces of wood with a clamps on both sides of each leg - that would support the legs until the glue was dry.

I let the glue dry up in this position for 24 hours.

Woodn Sticks for Strengthening

I was afraid the glue alone could not hold the weight so I decided to add wood sticks ,Two on every corner connection.

I drilled hole with an 8 mm wood drill as deep as I could, I filled the hole with glue and put in the wooden rod.

then I've cut the excess extra material.

Refine Legs

Because the legs were probably out in the sun and in the rain cracks were created over time - so I've filled the cracks with glue.

Legs Finishes

After everything was smooth I've removed all the dust with air pressure, then I applied wood Oil with A piece of cloth.

Painting

First I've spray primer paint and then for final coat my wife chose a funky yellow color :)

Handle & Tag Holder

I used 3M super fine sanding sponge to smooth and bring back the shine to those parts.

it worked really well !

Wedding

I've drill four holes at the bottom of the drawer and four holes in the leg structure.

I bought a new screws and Nyloc nuts to connect the drawer to the legs.

A new piece was born !

• Denise

This is beautiful!!

• Deborah

I came across this and it looked liked something I might like to try. Then I realized I don't remember ever seeing a one drawer metal file box like this. Has anyone seen these in their area?

• Vee

I had one many years ago. It had been used in an Accounting Office for filing certain documents before computers were fully implemented, here in California. It came from a State Agency, surplus sale. I used it for keeping art supplies. But, it is long gone. Darn it! I would check Amazon....it might be new, but still, a fun project

Good luck!

• Toni Hembree

Like many of the respondents, this project is above my skill level. Your video portion gave me some good ideas for using on future projects that aren't as complicated, and I thank-you! Your are an amazing carpenter. I do have one question, and I hope I'm not missing it from what you have posted. When you use the glue to fill the cracks on the legs, I was surprised to see you just oiled the wood and the glue filled cracks didn't show. Is that true with all wood glues, or just Gorilla Wood Glue? I would have thought the cracks would still have showed, filled or not. Thanks.

• Toni Hembree

Thanks! I'm not a carpenter, but I enjoy refinishing furniture, etc. This method will be quite helpful for future projects. Again, you are quite talented, and I thank you.