Asked on Nov 4, 2019

Could my holly tree be hogging all of the soil's moisture?

Courtney |The Kitchen GartenDeb KRedcatcec
+1

hello - i have a few evergreen tress in my garden and one sits right next to this 10ft Holly Tree and i think the holly tree is taking all the moisture from my evergreen and it is slowly dying - what can i do ? I also have an Azazel bush that is dying to it also is near the holly tree - please help - thank you

• Johnavallance82

Hello there,

Dig up and replant the trees at the appropriate time or if not possible try to bury a bottomless bottle into the ground (upside down) very close to each tree and water and feed into that in the hope you can compensate for the holly.........

• Redcatcec

Yes, move the trees away from each other.

The azalea bushes usually have a dense rootball, so be prepared to work some on that.

• Deb K

Hi MK, move both of them, Azeleas like sunshine and need their own space. chances are the little evergreen is struggling with the holly for nutrients as well, move him to a space where he will have good sunlight and his own food source. Hope this helps you.

• Could you post a picture? Azaleas can often be an understory shrub, so it could be a different issue affecting it. I'd move the evergreen, and fall is usually a good time.