Any tips for re-grouting a tiled walk-in shower?

StevenLarry ChuraMommaduck
+6

The joint at the floor and the walls needs to be regrouted in spouts. How far do I need to go, i.e. do I need to remove ALL old grout or can I patch areas? Plus, any products better than others?
  • Hey Delores, I've done patchwork before on grout and it seemed to work ok. I just found that in order to keep it all uniform looking, to smear the grout overtop the works and it'll all look like new. :) Just be sure to take a toothbrush and good cleaner to the old grout prior to remove most soap scum.

• Delores M

Thanks, Thistle, for the link, and Donna, for the tips. I am ready to get to work tomorrow!!

• Daniela N

I regrouted our upstair shower last summer. It was missing grout in spots. If the grout line is fine as in thin, than it's ok to go ahead and put more grout without taking all of it off! If there are chips falling out, remove them. Remember to clean the grout line REALLY good...scrub, scrub and scrub some more. dirt will prevent new grout to sticking properly. I used a pre-mixed grout. It came in a tub for about $25. I goes a long way, and I ended up using maybe a third of it. It was my first grout job, and a year later it still looks great! major improvement!

• Ideally you need to clean everything real well. Then using a Dremel or a mulit tool which works great you should remove all the grout and start over. If you cover over the old grout you will find that it will not look professional and the new stuff will fail fairly quickly.

• Hometipster.com

Here's a guide on How to Re-grout Tiles - http://hometipster.com/how-to-re-grout-tiles/ Hope that helps. Have a great day :) Graham

• Mommaduck

Definitely use the Dremel. Major time and frustration saver! Premixed grout was also helpful. Good luck!

• Larry Chura

If one is going to grind out the old grout, only do the part that is bad (loose, stained, chipped). As stated, vacuum all of the old and loose stuff and pick a new grout color that will match the old. Apply a light spray of water to mist the work area. Using the same technique as one would in decorating a cake, squeeze the new grout into the openings, filling from the bottom up. The rest is the same for finishing any grout.

• Steven

My name is Mr. Steven Joseph K.,i sent you the mail before without your reply. Kindly reply back to me for more information.

Kindly reply me back as soon as possible at; stevenjoseph738@gmail.com

Regards
    Mr. Steven Joseph
    +228-9654 7829
    +228-9770 4616