DIY Pumpkin Door Decor From Quilt Squares

$3

Every year I always look forward to creating something new for the fall season, which is my favorite time of year.

This fall I thought it would be fun to use some thrifted quilt squares on a pumpkin project.

So here's the lot of 2 inch fabric quilt squares that I found at a thrift store. I don't know how many squares there are in this pile but there's a lot, and tons of different colors and patterns. I found the wooden pumpkin at the dollar store.

I went through the squares and picked out some traditional-looking fall colors and patterns and did a dry fit on the wooden pumpkin.

I set aside the quilt squares in the pattern that I created and went to work gluing them on the pumpkin with DecoArt fabric decoupage medium.

I put glue on the wooden pumpkin and also on the undersides of the squares.

And I just kept going, filling in with the squares. If I felt like changing the pattern as I went I did.

Once all my squares were done I applied 3 top coats of the decouopage medium, letting it dry for a good hour in between.

Once my pumpkin was completely dry I trimmed off the fabric edges with an xacto knife.

Then to finish off the edge of the pumpkin I glued on some jute rope with my glue gun.

And here's my finished quilt square pumpkin with a traditional fall look. It's hanging on the inside of the door in my kitchen. To finish it off I added a simple jute twine bow and I glued a small faux pine cone to it.

This way the bow is neutral and suits both sides of the pumpkin, because I did the other side too... in a completely different pattern and look.

To see what I did on the other side of my pumpkin, and more pics and tips, check out my Repurposed Quilt Square Pumpkin blog post.

Color Me Thrifty