Weekend Guest Bathroom Refresh

$150

Does your builder grade bathroom need an update? Mine sure did...with a basic vanity and even more basic tile, my bathroom was in need of a face lift. I spent a weekend and less than $200 in paint and supplies to get a bright and airy guest bathroom.

Here is the "Before" shot. I had previously painted the vanity a chocolate brown when we first moved in because it was unfinished wood. It has held up well, but I was ready for a brighter space, using shades of gray around the rest of my house.

I started by taking off the cabinet doors and removing the drawers, cleaning them well with Mean Green de-greaser, then painting them. I used two coats of Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformation in Seaside (left over from my kitchen renovation.) After they had dried, I put the drawers back in and the doors back on.

Next, I started on the floor. I taped off around the tub and toilet. I did not worry about the baseboards because I was using white paint and I need to re-paint the walls and baseboards eventually.

I used a small angled brush around the edges and corners and a 3/8" nap mini roller to apply the paint. I used 2 coats of Rust-Oleum Rock Solid Home Base in White and Matte Top coat (It's a 2-step system.)

In case you are wondering, I had previously used cork contact paper to cover the floral etched glass on the medicine cabinet to give it an updated look.

I changed out the pulls on the vanity and medicine cabinet for modern ones I found at my local Salvage Supply store.

I purchased a new set of bath mats and towels from TJ Maxx to finish off the new look.

The tile is so much brighter and cleaner looking without the dirt-colored grout lines that never looked clean.

Mary from Real Girl's Realm

• Ingrid

What is the color of those walls? I love it! Actually liked what you had done before the makeover too.

• Paula P

I went to the Rust-Oleum web site and it showed a Rock Solid Home Base Coat, a Rock solid Home Base Coat Tint Base and a Rock Solid Home Top Coat. Did you use the Base Coat or the Base Coat Tint Base along with the Top Coat?

• Lee
      14 minutes ago

Looks amazing! My floor tiles are old, grout lines no longer appealing. Sure hope to succeed, like you!

• Cheryl Rambo

The floor looks great. But how is it with foot traffic? Is it easy to mop, and what do you clean it with? Thanks!

• Jana

Beautiful!!! You are very talented and patient! Stunning transformation!

Not familiar with Rustoleum Rock Solid. Had to look it up. Sounds like it's a great floor paint. Better and easier than epoxy based paint. Your bathroom looks great.