No Paint Dresser Makeover

$45

If you are tired of painting and need a quick and easy furniture makeover - try using peel and stick wallpaper.

This was by far the fastest and easiest project I have done! It was nice to take a break from the painting and upholstering. I had acquired this dresser from a multi family yard sale I hosted. This piece did not sell and rather than donate it to a thrift store I thought it could be a practice DIY project.

This dresser is very plain with no detail or anything exciting about it. I'm 99.9% sure that it came from Ikea. Since it is so flat with no texture whatsoever, I thought it would be a fun change to try out peel and stick wallpaper on it. I had just bought some from Lowe's and did a wall in my mudroom and it was so easy to put on, I thought it would be a nice break from my regular painting projects.

If you have never used peel and stick wallpaper - it is so easy!! The only tools you need are the plastic smoother (pictured above) and utility knife. The smoother will do just that - smooth out all the air bubbles to make it nice and smooth and the utility knife is used to cut excess or make a clean cut on the edges.

I have a Lowe's less than a mile from my house so I stopped there and picked up the Scott Living Peel and Stick Wallpaper in Scottish Plaid. This is the HGTV Property Brother's line they carry. Right next to their selection is the NuWallpaper Wallpaper Application Kit.

You simply peel off the backing of the paper and I started on the top of the dresser first. You line up the edge and slowly start to lay it down as you use your smoother pushing down or to the sides to release any air bubbles or creases that may be forming. It is a constant movement as you lay it with one hand and use your other hand to smooth it out until you get to the end of your piece.

Then I started on the sides, again peeling off the backing and lining it up with the edges and making sure the pattern lines up with what has already been laid.

The drawers took me the longest to line up the pattern just right. It is basically a big giant sticker you stick on your furniture and smooth it out. The paper was wide enough to cover two drawers at once. All I had to do after I laid it on was take my utility knife and slice between the drawer fronts. These drawers could not be removed so I just keep them shut and attached as I did the drawers so it was easier to line up the pattern.

The overall application only took me about 1 hour, if that. A lot of people that have seen this thought I had painted it. From a plain and boring piece of Ikea furniture and a roll of wallpaper, this turned out fantastic! If you have covered furniture in wallpaper - send me a picture, I would LOVE to see it! Or hopefully this inspires you to use wallpaper for more than just your walls. Happy creating friends!

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/within.the.home/

• Wyldecent

How is this holding up? I foresee fingerprints around the pulls and wonder if it is hard to clean?

• Seedpath

Ever consider painting the exposed wood prior to sticking on the paper? That might have really made the piece pop.

• Jessica | within.the.home

yes but I was kind of wanting a break from painting. I like the contrast of the light wood and the wallpaper. Maybe when I redo it in a year or so I will paint and try something else!

• 48396320
    25 minutes ago

How can I make my stainless steel sink look like new

• Sundi

I used peel and stick linoleum I the top of a credenza. It's waterproof, and will hold up well.

• Sundi

Here is the before and after of the credenza I did.

• See More
Next
Prev