Asked on Nov 6, 2019

How can I smooth and repair cinder block basement walls for painting?

Johnavallance82Emy Flint | Semigloss DesignMichelle Leslie
+3

I have some flaking and small holes from former water damage. What can I smooth walls and fill holes with.then I will paint

• Kelli L. Milligan

Scrape off what you can and if holes or cracks aren't too large you can use concrete caulk to fill. Be sure to use moisture resistant paint. I'd go to a stand alone paint store to see what product they would recommend.

• Michelle Leslie

Hi Pat, this tutorial will show all the steps needed to smooth and repair your cinder block walls - https://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-repair-a-concrete-block-wall

• If you had water damage in the past, you might want to try Drylock. It's a thick paint for basement cinder blocks to keep water out. It's super thick and kind of hard to paint. Wear a respirator (it doesn't say it's dangerous, but I stayed in bed for 2 days after I used it...) Even though it was a pain to use, it's been worth it just to make the cinder block walls look better.

• Johnavallance82

Hi Pat,

You could use a filler or spackle, or go the whole hog and get the walls Rendered or plastered.......

• Pat

Thanks I didn’t think sparkle would work on cement