DIY Farmhouse Style Window Treatment

$30

Don't limit your curtain hanging options to the old curtain rod. Try using hooks to easily hang your curtains for a fun and stylish window treatment. This method can be tailored to fit any style and budget, and is very simple to put together.

Be sure to check out the full tutorial HERE!

I gathered a piece of weathered wood and some wall hooks for my window treatment.

Screw your hooks into the center of your board, or skip the board and screw them directly into the wall. Just make sure they are evenly spaced. I screwed my board directly into the studs in my wall so that it wouldn't fall on my head while I sleep.

Hang your curtains using simple clip on curtain hooks. Add some curtain tie-backs or wall hooks so that you can hold your curtains open.

The hooks are great for hanging decor such as plants or season items. They also fit right in with my drop cloth curtains.

I love how cozy this curtain hanging method makes our bedroom. I hope this project inspires you to be creative in your own home.

Enjoy!

Heather Cammack

• Shuganne

First of all, I love the whole project! I love grey walls, especially in a bedroom. Now a few questions: What is the interesting texture on the walls? Is the side wall a darker charcoal or is that an effect of the natural lighting in the photo? Would you consider extending the wood piece from wall to wall, like a crown molding? (You could add additional hooks if you wanted to hang a picture or other decor.) The drop cloth curtains don't seem to block much light. Would you consider hanging double curtains, having each one drape over the other, reaching its own tie back in deeper folds (and probably ending at a shorter point) to better block the light and any additional cold or heat from outside? (I'd need to do that, but I'm not sure how it would look.) Would that require a hook to hold the tie back in place with the extra curtain weight? I really love the look and would love to try it in my home!

• Dee

As far as the wall texture it is called orange peel. I believe it is put on by a particular roller. We don't like it.

• Jane

I would use the curtains as decor and hang some type of blind (ie roller shades, wood blinds) under for light filtering/blocking. Like the look, the curtains soften the appearance.

• Heather Cammack

Hello. The texture on our walls is called "knock down" texture. Our focal wall is a dark Navy and the side walls are currently navy as well, but I'm on the process of painting them a lighter beige because the all dark was a bit too much for us.

Extending the wood piece could look really lovely especially if you plan to hang some plants on it. I'm a big fan of hanging plants. The drop cloth curtains block out a fair amount of light, but are certainly not black out curtains. I like the idea of having a roller shade or something for light blocking purposes. They do however, block a lot of cold.

If you end up using a double curtain look, I would recommend a wall hook, but I don't see why a tie back wouldn't work.

Good luck!

• Lucy Marie Bernier

I know what the wall hooks r used for. What are the curtain hooks used for ?

Love the idea.

• Owen Parker

The curtain hooks would be to hang the curtain on the wall hooks. :)

• Billie

I think the picture in resources is not what was used in picture of actual curtains. The actual curtains have the plastic circle with a clip on them. The circle goes on the hook and the clip attaches to the curtain.

• Pappy

Some people know nothing I mean nothing.

• Mamma

Be Kind.

• LUANA MCUNE

Very cute!!

• Roxxi

Casual and comfy cute !

• Donna Drake

The curtain hooks are in the curtain. That is what is attaching to the other hooks. That's what I make of it

• Donna Drake

The O rings aren't on the supply list .

• Lucy Marie Bernier

I’m sorry, you have 2 different kind of hooks. What r the other hooks used for ?

• Heather Cammack

The curtain hooks are used to easily hang the curtain from the wall hooks. You will notice that the ones I used are different from the suggested materials. I will try to get that changed. If you follow the link to my blog, I have the correct hooks linked.

• Virginia McPherson Risser

Besides doing this in the bedroom wouldnt this work in the living room or dining room or something?

• Dawn

Where did you get the curtains?

• Donna

Great idea!