Asked on Nov 7, 2019

Is there a way to cure rot on a wood home exterior?



The north side of my cedar house has a few areas, particularly under the windows and adjacent to the brick fireplace where the wood seems wet and somewhat spongy. If everything were pulled off and replaced, it would look like a complete mess and be expensive to remediate. Is there still a product called Cure Rot that can fix this?

5 answers
  • Minwax makes a product called Wood Hardener. I'm not sure if it will give you the look you want, but it sounds like the product for your purposes.

  • Chloe Crabtree
    on Nov 7, 2019

    After removing loose or badly rotted wood, simply brush the Bondo Rotted Wood Restorer onto the damaged area with the built-in applicator brush. In only 2 hours, the product will dry to a tack-free finish that can be filled with Bondo Wood Filler to complete same day rot repairs. Here is a link to the product:

  • Johnavallance82
    on Nov 8, 2019

    Hello there,

    Do you have house insurance, Maybe make a claim? Sounds as if these areas do not divert the rain properly. You might want to look in to improving these areas (Maybe use a lead flashing or a good sealant around them once fixed). Best wishes.

  • Jeanette
    on Nov 9, 2019

    Will check with agent. Thank you.

  • Fiddledd224
    on Nov 12, 2019

    I agree, however most HO claims will only get approved and settled if the issue is the result of a one time incident, like damage from a hurricane......NOT from lack of routine maintenance. Still, a call to your insurance company couldn't hurt.....

Your comment...