Asked on Nov 7, 2019

How can I repair peeling particle board cabinets?

JanetSharonKelli L. Milligan
+1

My kitchen cabinets are cheap sawdust laminated . Of course they are chipped all over and the particle boards are expanding. It’s horrible looking!!!!!

• Unique Creations By Anita

They are not worth fixing in my opinion. Even covering them in contact paper with is always a go to, will not stick properly. Once moisture gets into the wood it is no good.

• Kelli L. Milligan

Once they start to swell its too late to fix. Need to replace. Sorry.

• Sharon

Remove and replace with open shelving.

• Janet

If you want to make them last a little longer, you can try gently sanding them down in the places they have expanded. Is the expansion noticeable? It is very likely they might crumble, depending on how damaged they are or how much they have expanded.

Once particle board has expanded, it means the "glue" has broken down.

In the chipped places you will have to patch with whatever will hold. You are going to have to paint with a moisture proof paint.

Personally, I think you are going to spend a lot of time trying to fix these and then end up replacing them. You really cannot fix expanded water damaged particle board.