How to Paint Outdoor Carpet

$100

Do you have outdoor carpet that's seen better days, but the thought of replacing it seems expensive? That was exactly how I felt, and I debated for weeks about what to do. I eventually decided to paint it with latex paint. This sounds crazy, I know, but the carpet was thin and not terribly soft to begin with. Four gallons of paint later, and my porch was a smooth black shade instead of stained green.

This is how my carpet looked when I started. It wasn't terrible, but there were numerous stains, and I wasn't fond of the green. To see more before photos, check out the full blog post!

I started by pouring my paint into a paint tray and adding water, in hopes of giving the paint a chance to sink into the carpet, instead of just settling on top. I tended to add a mugful or so per tray, but it wasn't scientific at all.

Then I sprayed water onto a 2' x 2' section. This helps spread the paint in the next step.

Next I applied the paint with a paint roller. Just like painting a wall, for any edges or tight spots I used a paintbrush.

I repeated this throughout the entire porch. What you see in the picture above is one gallon worth of paint. I used four gallons for the entire project.

This is what my carpet looked like after one coat. I let it dry twenty four hours, then applied a second coat of paint.

Then my carpet was done! I love how it turned out! If you'd like more information and photos, be sure to check out the full blog post!

Lindsay Fay