Daniel Leisner
Daniel Leisner
  • Los Angeles, CA
Asked on Nov 7, 2019

How do I remove this false front cabinet?

LindaJudy in Canton.William
+2

I’m looking to install tip out shelves and I don’t know if my false front cabinet is glued on or screwed on with the screws hidden behind a lighter strip of wood that is screwed to the sides. In the picture please let me know if you think there are screws behind that lighter strip of wood. There is a strip at the top and bottom.

I tried using a razor blade on the back, but it kept getting stuck.

Back of false front cabinet. Notice natural color strips of wood. Do I need to remove those to expose screws holding the false front cabinet or is it glued on?

What I’m trying to install.

• Kelli L. Milligan

Usually it's screwed on.

• Seth

It looks like the round hole may be for a recessed screw. Are there others like it? Insert a Phillips head screwdriver in the hole and slowly turn it to see if it seats into a screw.

It's usually screwed or stapled on. The large screw on the vertical piece screws one cabinet to the next. Don't mess with those. I would use a putty knife and see if it will pry off from the front. Loosen it up enough and you can see how it's mounted.

• Judy in Canton.

If you find it too difficult to redo your cabinet - what I did was buy a wire basket and hung it on two screws to hold sponges etc. on the inside of the cabinet door. I lined the basket with a cut placemat to hold any drips.

• Linda

It looks like the false front drawer is just brad nailed on. you can see the brad marks on the frame...probably three across the top and 3 across the bottom. Take a piece of 3/4 board and place it on the backside of the drawer and hit it with a hammer...should loosen drawer enough to pry away from cabinet. You will need to cut off the brads in frame..might be able to pull them through...or hammer them back enough to pull them out from the inside. Dont mess with the screws you see..that's joining cabinet frame to next cabinet.