Potato Stamp Throw Pillow Covers With DecoArt

$20

Hi Hometalkers! It’s Jess from paint to bring you this fun and easy Christmas throw pillow project! We’re using a potato stamp and my favorite Americana acrylic paint to make a fun modern print. If you’ve never tried this, you need to!

I’m a big fan of throw pillow covers because they’re inexpensive, and I can change them out whenever the mood strikes… or when the weather changes. They also take up barely any storage space when not in use.

Let’s get to the project!

First, wash your throw pillow covers on delicate cycle, and iron them to dry. You’ll want your fabric to shrink before you paint it. You’ll also want to cut a piece of cardboard to fit inside the cover, to prevent the paint from seeping through to the back side.

(Disclosure: This post was written in collaboration with DecoArt. All opinions are my own.)

Now it’s time to make the potato stamp. Cut your potato in half with the chef’s knife. 

Now use the paring knife to cut the outline of the Christmas tree into the cut surface of the potato. I like to cut the outline about a half inch deep.

Once you’ve carved the outline of the tree, it’s time to remove the extra pieces of potato. Carve in from the outsides and carefully cut in until you reach the edges of your tree. Remove the extra pieces of potato as you go.

Finally, go around the outside of the potato and cut off the edges so they don’t accidentally get extra paint on your project.

Now we’re ready to paint!

Add some Holly Green and some Green Lagoon to the paint tray. 

Next, add Americna Fabric Painting Medium to the paint. The ratio should be 2 parts acrylic paint to one part medium. Mix them together well with your stencil brush.

Use the stencil brush to dab paint onto the surface of the stamp. Try to get an even coating of paint. I like to test the stamp on a paper towel to be sure everything looks good before stamping the fabric.

Now line up the stamp, press it down firmly, and pull it straight back up. Re-apply paint to the stamp every time you print it for best results. 

When it’s time to switch colors, use a paper towel to clean as much paint as possible off the stamp. Continue your pattern to cover the entire side of the throw pillow cover.

Once you’re finished printing, hang the throw pillow cover up to dry. When the paint is completely dry, use the iron to heat-set it. Lay a dish towel over the painted fabric surface and iron it on high for 2-5 minutes, never holding the iron in one spot for very long. Now put a throw pillow insert inside, and you’re done!

Next come check out my potato stamped tea towels!

Jessica Welling Interiors

• June

I like that a lot. Does anyone have any other ideas for a cutout design, not for the holidays, but in general? I'd like to carve out a cat design but not sure how.

• Smedley

hi June.

When I need a silhouette of something, i have had lucky googling the desired shape-state, animal etc then tracing off screen, cutting out and using for my craft!

• Tina

This is incredibly clever and beautiful!