Donna
Donna
  • Simpsonville, SC

DIY Rustic Farmhouse Christmas Tree

$40
1 Day

Inspiration for projects and ideas can come from anywhere. We have a gas fireplace that we rarely use. For years, I've wanted to incorporate the fireplace into our holiday decorating and Christmas mantle. And with a wood panel, some moulding, and some greenery, I've created the perfect addition to our holiday home!

This Christmas tree project can be displayed inside your home, or outside. I wanted a rustic look and used a pre-made wood panel for my project, but you could also use an artist stretched canvas if you want (but only for indoor use).

I also used some decorative wood trim (like you put around a window or door) and some artificial greenery. You can see all the supplies and the full directions on my blog.

The wood panel and materials can get pricey, but I was able to make this project for about $40 using coupons.

To get some more greenery, I trimmed some pine out of a fake garland that we had leftover from past years.

The first step is to paint your background panel (either wood or stretched canvas), then decided the length of the trim pieces you want to use and the positioning of these items on your panel. Do not glue them in place yet.

I cut my trim pieces to be 5, 8, 11, and 14 inches long. I positioned them about 5 inches apart (see my blog post for more details). I knew I wanted to add a star to the top of my tree This layout left me room for my star and enough space for a base at the bottom of my tree.

Before gluing the trim in place, place some small scrap wood spacers behind each of your trim pieces. These small spacers will lift your trim pieces off of the backing panel and created some space to tuck your greenery into. For more information on adding spacers, visit my blog.

Once your spacers are adhered, you can glue down your trim pieces. I used hot glue for all my glue needs, but if you are planning to display this panel outdoors, you should probably use wood glue or Liquid Nails.

After your trim is glued in place, you can start arranging your artificial greenery and glueing it in place using hot glue.

I used pretty traditional colors and stems for my display, but you can use whatever colors and materials you want. You can add additional decorations like garland, baubles, and shiny elements as you choose. I have some suggestions for arranging your greenery and ideas for incorporating different styles on my blog post.

I would encourage you to mix up the items and elements that you use behind each of your trim pieces. This adds interest and texture to your tree.

The last step was to add my star and my base.

This panel will work perfectly with my holiday decorating. It would also look great on a porch or in a garden for the holiday season. There are many ways to use this idea and create something for your own home. Happy Holidays!

Donna

• Tom Zamojcin

Looks great! Where did you find the wood panel you used? Is that a piece of a crate or pallet?

• Denise

It's just molding that you can find at Lowes or Home Depot

• LJC

Think it would be nice to just stack ornaments on those shelves for a shiny display?

• Donna

Definitely. If you look at my blog, I have some ideas for using this tree to display different objects or collections.

• My thought was that this would also be a cute way to display Christmas cards. This is awesome!

• Donna

Yes, definitely. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing your suggestion!!

• Maureen

Really cute idea & so simple to do.

Thank you for sharing ❤️

• Donna

You're very welcome and thank you for your comment! I appreciate it!!

• Ann Eichenberger

What an amazing project!! You could make it large enough to use as a front door decoration for the holidays. I am inspired. Thinking fresh Magnolia leaves and holly. The shiny bulbs mentioned by another person would be a great addition. Thanks for sharing your project.

• Donna

You're welcome. You might want to use floral foam behind your trim pieces to stick your greenery in to. Good luck! I hope you make something that you really love!