DIY Wooden Christmas Tree Shelves

$15

Tired of the traditional Christmas Tree?

Learn how to make this easy Modern farmhouse DIY wood Christmas tree shelves. Add holiday cheer to any space, big or small, with a versatile minimalist tree that was a breeze to make from 2x4's.

Wonder why we decided to make this DIY Wood Christmas Tree Shelves? Since I have had my own place, I have always put up slim trees. I'm just fascinated by pencil-thin simple trees. I am not sure why I don’t like “traditional” wide trees- maybe it’s because I am just overwhelmed by how much you have to add to a big tree to make it look decent-Who knows?

This year we have a huge great room and lots of space so I wanted more than just one pencil tree since it would just disappear in this big space. So I started looking for ideas on how to have a bigger tree without having a tree at all! So I came across some wooden wall tree shelves and We decided to supersize it to fit our current home.

The tree would match our modern Farmhouse decor and will serve as a display for my   Christmas houses mini collection. What also made this wooden tree idea so appealing was that it could be done for under $15!

This is how you can make your 6 foot DIY Wood Christmas tree shelf...

Supplies: 

• 4- 2x4"
  • 1 1/2" wood screws
  • 150 grit Sandpaper 
  • Minwax Dark Walnut stain 
  • Decor

Tools:

• Miter saw
  • Angle finder
  • Pocket hole jig
  • Drill/ drill bits
  • Orbital sander

Step 1: Make the frame for your DIY Wooden Christmas Tree Shelves...

Start by cutting the wood: 1- 2x4x71" and 1- 2x4x68"- Both need a 64° angle at the top end and 13° angle at the bottom end.

Then cut the bottom shelf - which also completes the triangle frame: 1- 2x4x32" with a 13° angle at both ends.

Continue by placing the pieces of the frame on a flat surface, clamp it together and attach the pieces using wood screws. You may add wood glue for stronger joints- we opted not to since we plan on taking it apart to store it after the holidays.

Step 2: Build the shelves...

Cut the following pieces with a 13° angle at each end.

• 1- 2x4x8"
  • 1- 2x4x14"
  • 1- 2x4x20"
  • 1- 2x4x26"

Proceed to attach the shelves- from largest to smallest - leaving 12" between shelf. Used 2 wood screws on each side to secure the shelf.

Step 3: Make the base of your DIY Wooden Christmas Tree Shelves...

• Cut 2-2x4x14.5" and 2- 2x4x12"
  • Make 2 pockets holes on one of the 2x4x12". 
  • Proceed by joining the 2- 12" pieces with wood screws.
  • Then attach the 2 - 2x4x14.5" to the 2 pieces of 2x4x12"- 2" from each end. 

Step 4: Attach the base to frame...

Then, use wood screws to attach the base to the center of the bottom support board.

Step 5: Sand and stain...

Using 150 grit sandpaper sand the tree.

Proceed by giving it one coat of Minwax in dark walnut.

Step 6- Decorate and Enjoy!

There are so many things you can display on this easy DIY wooden Christmas tree shelves; you can add lights and garland, add rustic ornaments or festive decor. The possibilities are endless!

I am using it to display my   Christmas house mini collection and the new wooden houses we just made. 

It looks amazing and it’s very functional.

Did you make a DIY wooden Christmas tree? How did you decorate it? I would love to know in the comments below.

• Wood
  • Nails
  • Stain

23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
Home Defined HD

• DD

I'm thinking of trying this for our Christmas village but wonder if 2x6's might work as the bottoms of the pieces are wider. I like the lights idea. Beautiful work.

• Mimi Lafeurs

Very beautiful. But doesn’t it tip over?

you could remove the base and star and use it as a bookshelf all year long.

• Home Defined HD

It doesn't tip over its very sturdy. You can remove the base and star and use it all year round.

• Nancy

if this is a substitute Christmas tree, why is it pictures with an evergreen Christmas tree?

• Maureen Cox

In 2nd paragraph she explains she now has a large gr8 room. This is in addition to her pencil thin evergreens.

• Elonsdale54

We cut the wood but having trouble doing the top angles. We don't have one for 68 deg. got all flustered

• Kathy

I love it for a Christmas decoration!!