K S
K S
  • Golden Valley, AZ
Asked on Nov 9, 2019

How can I organize my Melmac dish collection?

Holly Lengner - Lost MomRedcatcecCatherine Deirdre Rodden
+5

After 4 years in storage now have a room for my MELMAC collection (39 totes). Trying to figure out ways to keep em grouped by makers, show but keep contained. Anyone have thoughs on? Thanks, Klaudia Nw Az

• Mogie

You could put them in large freezer bags. That way you could see them but they would still be protected.

• Robyn Garner

I'm a bit confused. Are you trying to get them out of the totes and on display or repack the totes in some organizational way. My first thought would be to take out a complete dinnerware place setting for display and store the remainder in the totes. Various color cups can be hung from hooks with various colored dishes & bowls of the same size/design in piles such as all dinner plates, all bowls, etc.

• Cheryl A

you could group by colors, by size or by design depending on how you use them

• Flipturn

39 totes of Melmac. Wow!

What is your goal in amassing this sizeable collection?

You asked for suggestions as to how you might organize it:

Do you want to just keep the dishes, hoping that they will increase in value sometime in the future?

or, Do you want to display it for show?

or, Do you want to be able to access individual pieces for everyday use?

• Catherine Deirdre Rodden

If you are looking at keeping the storage containers you have but just sort of making it look nicer and more uniform then I have a suggestion. You can just spray paint the containers the same color - you can have different colors for different makers so it is easier to know right away. I would then make a full place setting showing the items stored with the container, take a photo and print out to paste onto the side of the container - or on the lid - so you know immediately what is inside.

• Redcatcec

I think the solution is found in your purpose of the melmac. Could you share exactly what your purpose is?

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

You can do something like this wall to wall shelving and arrange your collection on the shelves.

http://bestdiyprojectssax.blogspot.com/2015/04/diy-dining-room-open-shelving-by-wood.html