Asked on Nov 9, 2019

How can I lighten ceramic floor tiles?

WilliamDebi53Cheryl A
+4

My kitchen floor ceramic tiles are dark and darken the whole room. I dont feel like taking them off and I wonder if there quick and non invasive way to lighten up my floor.

I used to love the color but now its darkness drives me crazy.

• Kelli L. Milligan

I gave those same tiles. I finally for on my hands and knees and scrubbed them with soft scrub. Rinsed thoroughly and sealed them once again with tile grout sealer. I was amazed how much lighter they they became. Didnt realize how dirty they actually were. Don't paint. It will wear off and look awful.

• Mogie

https://www.drivenbydecor.com/how-painting-bathrooms-ceramic-tile-floors-diy/

Be sure to use primer first. At least 2 coats of paint and to keep it from peeling and several coats of water based poly of that to protect the paint job.

• Morgan McBride

You could paint them! Rustoleum sells a tile painting kit.

• Dee

Do NOT paint, especially in Kitchen or bathrooms. High traffic areas will peel off and look awful. You could try Clorex Outdoors. It is very strong so make sure there is plenty of air circulation. Or got to an auto store and get engine cleaner/degreaser.

• Debi53

I have painted just about any surface you can think of, but I would not paint these tiles. It will not hold up and you will have an ugly mess on your hands. I agree with others who have said to clean them. I truly believe that your floor is not the problem creating darkness, but possibly your paint, cabinet, or countertop color. Painting your walls and cabinets a light (even white) color can transform a space. You can also put down runners over the tile, but they will get dirty quickly.

Painting is the only option without replacing.

https://www.hometalk.com/search/posts?filter=paint%20tile